Thread: RIP Dmoz

1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

RIP Dmoz

I see Dmoz the one of a few trusted directories is closing.

RIP Dmoz: The Open Directory Project is closing
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

That is a shame... A hallmark directory, closing.. end of an era..Goodbye Dmoz.

Now who is going to buy it, and resurrect it from the ashes. That is the question... a ton of authority and links tied to that site.
  5. Dinosaur

Not me that's for sure, My days of running large directory companies are well and truly over.
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Looks like Moz had tried to buy it previously.

https://twitter.com/randfish/status/836718927338061825
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. No Profile Picture

That sucks.
    A strange new internet we have now.
    RIP
  11. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It can hardly have been the cost of keeping the domain and hosting up.

So... it must have been the cost of abundant or even excessive traffic
    Hmm, I wonder if someone could have done something with that.........
  13. Dinosaur

I dont know the detail but I can guess it was due to staff costs as it was a manually edited directory
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

That'll explain why I didn't get a site added then! Lol
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Wow... truly the end of an era
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  19. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well heck - I wasn't expecting that. Apparently there was no big, ceremonious announcement. Just that little blurb at the top of DMOZ's homepage. It's so strange that something that seemed so powerful and ancient would just end so abruptly.

Decades from now, SEOs digging through code will find NOODP meta tags on ancient sites, unearthing them like fossils "Oh wow, remember DMOZ?"

Originally Posted by dzine
    Hmm, I wonder if someone could have done something with that.........
    I'm also intrigued by what will happen if they sell it or someone else picks it up or something! Could be a great opportunity for someone with the resources.

WebmasterWorld has a thread as well that is a good read.

Laisha has a heartwarming post about what it was like to go through your life with DMOZ. Other people are not so tender-hearted:

Originally Posted by travelin_cat
    DMOZ was a joke. They had volunteer editors that manipulated their directory. We tried for years to get our travel site listed and could never get in. Apparently the editor was a competitor and did not want to include a site that got well over 3,000 uniques a day and had top rankings in Google for dozens of search phrases. Good riddance.
    Other thoughts:

Originally Posted by jmccormac
    Some of Google's search results where its "AI" tries to find the best match are sometimes very bad. Dmoz is a major loss to the web and it might be best if people downloaded the RDF files just in case they could be used for a replacement. The taxonomy of Dmoz was built over years and it is till quite a good one as it could be integrated into a search engine. The big killer for Dmoz was that it grew so large that sites were not current and had often changed ownership. Apart from Google, linkrot is the big problem for directories and most of the directory scripts did not have any proper link checking and maintenance aspects.
    Good scoop!
  21. Dinosaur

Dmoz is a major loss to the web and it might be best if people downloaded the RDF files just in case they could be used for a replacement.
    Already downloaded. Tempting I must admit. Honestly though I dont have the time. But just in case I find myself bored I grabbed a copy.
  23. SEO Since 97

Wow, that was unexpected, I was an editor from 1999 till Jan of 2017, then my account was turned off, and now I know why.
    I see there is a form asking to keep things going.
    https://goo.gl/forms/0cFa3bXLGoo12M6l2
  25. Contributing User

But any reason why this trend of reputed directories are shutting down?Does Google do not value them any more?
  27. Dinosaur

Define reputable ? Most if not all directories basically become link farms. Google and social channels have killed the older directory style sites big time. This is what happens when market leaders move into a niche. Dont know if your old enough to remember things like lotus 123, word perfect, word star etc all great products in their day, however microsoft decided they wanted a slice so brought out office and killed these companies.

Directories need to involve and the only current path is for them to become review sites which is now quite a saturated market place anyway.
    The writing was on the wall for directories 15 years ago, its just taken longer than I thought at the time to actually happen but nobody is going to go to a site just to look up a telephone number any more, they will simply use google and get the contact details they need. Its a changing world and if users don't use these sites then there is only 1 outcome.

Shame but true.
  29. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by Chedders
    I dont know the detail but I can guess it was due to staff costs as it was a manually edited directory
    Zeal used to have similarly critical 'manual' editors.
    I know cuz I once was one. None of us got paid so things like this CAN be done for 'free'.

Zeal was nuked ages ago BTW

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo