#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7

    Redirect 404 Page into Home Page is Good ?


    Hello Mates,

    I want to ask that we have a e commerce store. Webmaster showing some not found errors are 404. Should i implement 404 page with some content and redirect to home page after 5 seconds delay? Please guide me.

    Thanks,
    Shoaib.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brighton, CO
    Posts
    39
    Rep Power
    0
    In my opinion, you must delete those pages from Google webmaster tool. One more way to do this is by mentioning those in robots tag, but it will not be good for you. If you don't want to delete those 404 pages.

    Comments on this post

    • NathanielB : See below!
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7
    Is a good practice to remove 404 pages from webmaster tool ?
  6. #4
  7. SEO Learner
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delhi, India
    Posts
    151
    Rep Power
    35
    Originally Posted by emedianetwork
    In my opinion, you must delete those pages from Google webmaster tool. One more way to do this is by mentioning those in robots tag, but it will not be good for you. If you don't want to delete those 404 pages.
    Deleting errors from Google webmaster tools are foolest thing that I never do, they will appear as they detect them again
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    0
    If you want to 301 redirect your 404 pages to you homepage it's fine.
    Ideally redirect your 404 pages to the most relevant pages.
    Hope it helps
  10. #6
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK - Kent - Maidstone - PC!
    Posts
    3,752
    Rep Power
    1487
    Originally Posted by emedianetwork
    In my opinion, you must delete those pages from Google webmaster tool. One more way to do this is by mentioning those in robots tag, but it will not be good for you. If you don't want to delete those 404 pages.
    Good idea lets just delete the message and forget about it! Yeah that will work for your webmaster tools until google finds the 404 page is still there! (in other words, that's hiding the problem, not fixing it)

    So yeah, not such a good idea after all! Don't just push errors like this to the side and forget about them, fix em right away!!!

    OP, you're running an e-commerce site correct? Is it an old product page that is showing up as a 404? If so redirect it to a relevant product or to the category as that will be much better then redirecting to your home page.

    Before we go any further, OP please answer:
    How many of these 404 pages are we talking about?
    What exactly are the 404 pages? (IE old products, old categories, random page you know nothing about)
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

    "stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7
    Originally Posted by NathanielB
    Good idea lets just delete the message and forget about it! Yeah that will work for your webmaster tools until google finds the 404 page is still there! (in other words, that's hiding the problem, not fixing it)

    So yeah, not such a good idea after all! Don't just push errors like this to the side and forget about them, fix em right away!!!

    OP, you're running an e-commerce site correct? Is it an old product page that is showing up as a 404? If so redirect it to a relevant product or to the category as that will be much better then redirecting to your home page.

    Before we go any further, OP please answer:
    How many of these 404 pages are we talking about?
    What exactly are the 404 pages? (IE old products, old categories, random page you know nothing about)
    Thanks mate. Yes we have a eCommerce store and not found 404 errors are almost 40+. The thing is old product redirection is already implemented on our store. These 40+ 404 pages are random pages even those links never up in our server but webmaster is showing. I want to fixed those and thinking that any mistype url show 404 message first then after 5 seconds delay will move on home page. Please guide me. Your opinion will be really helpful.

    Thanks again.

    Shoaib.
  14. #8
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK - Kent - Maidstone - PC!
    Posts
    3,752
    Rep Power
    1487
    Well for the 404 message you want to leave something informative, I made a script for my own sites just to give a more fun and interactive 404 page, you can take a look at that here Nath's Smart 404 Script | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

    Can you post a few example links please (don't include http://www. or your post will likely be sent to the moderation queue) so I can take a look to try and help work out where these links are being generated. Also what cms are you using? Have you checked on there forums or support site etc if anyone else has a fix for the same issue?
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7
    Originally Posted by NathanielB
    Well for the 404 message you want to leave something informative, I made a script for my own sites just to give a more fun and interactive 404 page, you can take a look at that here Nath's Smart 404 Script | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

    Can you post a few example links please (don't include http://www. or your post will likely be sent to the moderation queue) so I can take a look to try and help work out where these links are being generated. Also what cms are you using? Have you checked on there forums or support site etc if anyone else has a fix for the same issue?
    Yes i am thinking to put some content for users and then redirect to home page...here are few examples of 404 my site tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php%3ELTO-2%20tapes%3C/08l9870-b.phptape4backup.com/dds-4-tapes.phphttp:/www.tape4backup.com/miscellaneous.php
    I just search on web but still confused for proper solution. please guide.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7
    Even these pages never exists in our server
  20. #11
  21. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    UK - Kent - Maidstone - PC!
    Posts
    3,752
    Rep Power
    1487
    I think I can guess why/how google is finding these urls just from what you have posted!

    Looking at those links I would guess that someone somewhere has messed up the code for the links, IE someone has messed up the code for
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php">LTO-2 tapes</a>
    and those links are the out come of the messed up / broken code.

    Have a google for this code:
    Code:
    http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php%3ELTO-2%20tapes%3C/08l9870-b.php
    and/or
    Code:
    http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php">LTO-2 tapes</08l9870-b.php
    and also search your site for that code because its more then likely the incorrect/broken code is on your site.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    7
    Originally Posted by NathanielB
    I think I can guess why/how google is finding these urls just from what you have posted!

    Looking at those links I would guess that someone somewhere has messed up the code for the links, IE someone has messed up the code for
    Code:
    <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php">LTO-2 tapes</a>
    and those links are the out come of the messed up / broken code.

    Have a google for this code:
    Code:
    http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php%3ELTO-2%20tapes%3C/08l9870-b.php
    and/or
    Code:
    http://www.tape4backup.com/lto-2-tapes.php">LTO-2 tapes</08l9870-b.php
    and also search your site for that code because its more then likely the incorrect/broken code is on your site.
    Well i dnt't know from where those links are generating. I just want to fixed those plz confirmed me 301 permanent redirection will help me in this case. My all 404 pages automatically redirect after delay in 5 seconds. What you say?

Similar Threads

  1. Redirect Home Page
    By Filipe07 in forum SEO Help (General Chat)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Jan 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec 21st, 2010, 09:57 AM
  3. Home page/Default Document redirect ?
    By richard19 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
  4. Home page redirect. Is it good, bad or unnecessary?
    By cmancre in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 19th, 2010, 05:02 AM
  5. Link back from PR0 page but home page is PR6 - Good??
    By clint317 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo