1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

ranking news for a client

Hello everyone!

Im a SEO Manager for latam market and I`ve received a new client, they have a news site for hispanic audience in the USA. They should be within the first hits in this area as they are part of one of the most important news channels in spanish.

Its the very first time I have to optimize a news site so please be gentle! ;)

Anyhow, Theyre not ranking as they should and Ive noticed first ranked news have a timestamp showing in the result

snap1.png

My question is

How does this impact on news? Should I add these tags? Are there any sort of "best practices" on this or a site to get a tutorial or a basis to develope these stamps?

Thanks a lot in advance to you guys!
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Oskiper
    Anyhow, Theyre not ranking as they should
    The first mistake is saying... "where they should be ranked." The algorithm does not know they are part of one of the most important news channels in Spanish and certainly doesn't use that criteria to order ranks.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    The first mistake is saying... "where they should be ranked." The algorithm does not know they are part of one of the most important news channels in Spanish and certainly doesn't use that criteria to order ranks.
    Agree on that point!

By that I meant that "according to my client, as they are part of a major news channel, they should rank better"

The truth is that they develop tons of content everyday and its quite decently written, Despite of other important optimizations I have to run on that site, I wonder if timestamps are that important and how should I implement them.

Thanks for your quick reply.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The timestamps should appear on their own. Focus your time and energy into promoting the news articles. Get on the branded social profiles and post links to the followers. Have the authors of the articles do the same on their profiles. Hopefully, this exposure will result in earning your site some links. Those are what is going to help the site rank higher, not a timestamp.

Comments on this post

• GabrielG agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Adam.W
    The timestamps should appear on their own. Focus your time and energy into promoting the news articles. Get on the branded social profiles and post links to the followers. Have the authors of the articles do the same on their profiles. Hopefully, this exposure will result in earning your site some links. Those are what is going to help the site rank higher, not a timestamp.
    Thanks a lot Adam!

Im currently working on promoting the news articles. As my results are showing no timestamps I dont know if that affect the positioning on "Latest News" section of Google. Apart from the fact of having to optimize both content and site structure, I think this might be important for latest news
  11. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fathom
    That depends. If their brand is searched and it leads visitors to clickthrough in high percentages to their site, then I'd say the algo can figure out that they're a "brand" and improve rankings for them accordingly.
  13. Super Moderator

News sites often have technical issues with getting all the content crawled, with interlinking it, with linking out generously to others (it leads to them linking back, hint hint) and you drive more traffic overall...
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by GabrielG
    News sites often have technical issues with getting all the content crawled, with interlinking it, with linking out generously to others (it leads to them linking back, hint hint) and you drive more traffic overall...
    That was helpful! Ive started last Friday with a new internal linking architecture to see how it works.

Anyway, I found this and I believe that if someone is looking to improve their organic performance on a news channel as my case should read this!

https://support.google.com/news/publ...#topic=4359866
  17. No Profile Picture

Link the website with twitter and facebook, if possible whenever they update the content make it automatically updated on the social websites also. This creates a lot of awareness of the website in the social platform. Press Releases are a big weapon if you are promoting a new website. Try that too.