1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ranking a english website in different countries?

Hi,

I would like to know can I rank a english website in different countries like UK, Canada, Germany, Spain etc. Like many other countries.
    Aslo what I require for that and how that can be done?

Thanks,
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You can create sub-domain for each country like uk.mysite.com, canada.mysite.com, germany.mysite.com etc. And then you can set geo targeting for each country in the Google Search Console. After this you can implement all the on-page SEO techniques for local SEO like City Name in Title, Content, URL, Consistent NAP (Name, Address, Phone), and Local Citations, Backlinks from specific websites. You can write content specific for each country.
    Last edited by jandesigner01; Nov 21st, 2016 at 04:24 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the Answer. Really appreciated.

This can also be done if I create subfolder like mysite.com/US, mysite.com/UK etc.
    But what if I don't want to create different domains or folder?
    I mean is it possible to target English speaking countries just with single .com domain? If it is how?
    As the website is in only one English language and I don't want to create it separately for other countries which use English language.
    Last edited by farheen; Nov 21st, 2016 at 04:34 AM.
  7. Contributing User

For this scenario the only option could be to mention the city country names in the Title, header tags, content and then back links from those countries. Like mysite.com/web-design and the title could web design in UK, Canada, Germany ...or another option can be mysite.com/location/Uk and the title can be Web Design in UK and then mysite.com/location/canada and the title can be Web Design in Canada.. and then Backlinks for each page from the targeted country and all other On page SEO techniques to be implemented for the same. In a single website without directory option these can be done..or May be the experts here can explain in much better way.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the Answer.

But in that case where I need to create separate page for each country that I will target, will it not cause canonical issue?

The first option which you said is using countries in title and dec would be a good idea but will that help in ranking on different country specific domains like co.uk ?
  11. Contributing User

If you are using country specific domain like co.uk then this will not be a good option. I am assuming you are using .com domain. If you are using .com domain then the first option can be used in your scenario.
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks, But I have doubt I read somewhere that meta tags does not support geo targeting and it will not help in that case for geo targeting so how can that will help me to rank in those particular countries. If you can clear this would be really appreciated.

Thanks
  15. Contributing User

Yes every one has his/her own opinion but this is not a proper solution what I have mentioned.. If you want to do it in a right way then you have to go for the sub-domain or directory option.
  17. No Profile Picture

Okay. But in this way what are the chances to rank well. Any guess?
  19. Contributing User

Depending upon certain factors such as keywords competition, Quality of the content, Site structure, quality of the back-links it can be possible but it can be really really hard and will become harder if the niche is highly competitive.
  21. Professional SEO

Good advice already provided. I have done well creating folders (sub-directories) that were simply named by the country's TLD. Also, have you already checked the ranking in the other countries? At least in Google, you sometimes rank similarly, even if its a different language.

Comments on this post

• KnowOneSpecial agrees
    Last edited by DirectHits; Nov 21st, 2016 at 08:29 AM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by farheen
    But in that case where I need to create separate page for each country that I will target, will it not cause canonical issue?

Yes, maybe no. It all depends, is the content the same, or is it different. That is why there is the use of rel canonical, to resolve such issues.

Originally Posted by jandesigner01
    If you want to do it in a right way then you have to go for the sub-domain or directory option. ?

Yes, 1 or the other.
    Originally Posted by DirectHits
    Good advice already provided. I have done well creating folders (sub-directories) that were simply named by the country's TLD

Yes, sub-dirs work extremely well, DirectHits and jandesigner01 have given you some really solid advice.

Originally Posted by farheen
    Okay. But in this way what are the chances to rank well. Any guess?

Bottom line, you can do very well.

The real question is, "How good is your SEO". Poor SEO will get you poor results, Good SEO will get you good results.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Nov 21st, 2016 at 09:51 PM.