1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question ranked for unselected keyword, ehat to do?

I setup a page to rank for "Florida Concealed Carry Permit" but the page ranks at 132. Yet google is ranking the page at 11 for "Florida concealed carry reciprocity map" so should I just change the optimization to that keyword?
    Google seems to have associated my website with maps as that was the first main article (4000+ words) I wrote. Anyway the keyword the page is ranking for gets far less traffic than the one i wanted to rank for. But rather than fight google should I just optimize for what they want o rank my page for?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I have looked at that site many times (assuming this is gunstocarry )... you have that reciprocity map on just about every page of the site. It is no wonder that Google associates you site with that term.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I have looked at that site many times (assuming this is gunstocarry )... you have that reciprocity map on just about every page of the site. It is no wonder that Google associates you site with that term.
    Just trying to give the best user experience, if they go to a state then all the info for that state should be in front of them rather than having to search for a map. But if is affecting SEO then do you think should re-arrange the maps and what would you suggest.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by waynepatt58
    Just trying to give the best user experience, if they go to a state then all the info for that state should be in front of them rather than having to search for a map. But if is affecting SEO then do you think should re-arrange the maps and what would you suggest.
    Because you are ranking for that map only... it means that your content is not up to snuff. Take it as an indicator that your content (other than the map) is not providing the quality answer Google has determined appropriate for the search query. You need to provide more quality in your content, also go examine the sites that do show up on Page 1 for your targeted search term. Try to one up them on quality. One of the biggest challenges you face is that in targeting the whole USA, you may be appearing to Google as possibly doorway pages, ie low quality. I would search the term you want to rank for, find the top sites, then get a cup of coffee or what ever your favorite drink is and read the content out loud. Then do the same for your site. If you are married or have a friend, have them sit an listen to both sites as you read them aloud. Then ask them to honestly tell you which site they prefer. Don't let them know which site is which before hand, that would bias the answer, they may not want to hurt your feelings by saying your site is worse. Friends sometimes do that you know.

Now take this part with a word of caution........
    Link Building should be your next major concern. Read the many threads posted here on the forums. The ones about link building and what we caution against. There is really nothing wrong with building links. Provided you do it properly I mean.

Now this is the real dangerous part if not done properly....
    Here I would go and seek out some nearby, local and not so near by and not local shops that sell handguns / firearms.
    Approach some of them offering to do a possible link exchange.

The concept being you reference their shops as places that adhere to the proper laws and don't bend the rules on selling guns. Then they reference your site as an authority on information on obtaining said permits.

Do not go out and get a gazillion links. Take the time to research these places and pick and choose the right ones to offer this exchange to. You find the right sites, and I am sure there are some out there, that will work with you, it would not take many to rank your site to Page 1. For a fact, if we could see PR that is, a link from a PR5 site would probably put the anchor text above the fold on Page 1. Also because you are US based, take advantage of local directories. Those links will most likely be no follow and that is ok, but if the site is offering to give a free "Followed link" I would doubt their quality and dismiss them as canidates. Those no follow links will not hurt you, but can drive traffic to you. I would if you already have not do so, create a Facebook business page concerning your site also.
  9. No Profile Picture

I broke the post into two pieces to keep it from getting to big...

One last thing I would do .....(since everyone has free long distance now)

I would actually call the Police Dept. in Dade County. Ask to speak to some one about how to obtain a permit to CCW. Be sincere and take notes as you talk with them. You may want to say "Hey, I am planing to take a vacation there and I have a CCWP where I live, are there any special requirements I need to know before I travel there and possibly get into trouble."

You will get lots of info for content creation this way. I often call local town halls to find out business requirements when I target cities for clients. I never let them know I am taking notes for content creation LOL. I often pretend to be a business owner planning on opening up shop there. You will be surprised by what you gleam from them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the reply, a lot of good info I will try to implement, looks like another 3am night for me.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think you hit the nail on the head with doorway pages. I had not really looked into it until you mentioned the subject and have just done 5 hours of research into it. I am now more convinced this is the problem. But there does not seem to be an easy answer when you want to do local SEO but you have no presence in the location, when I say local I mean down to state level. The only way I can see to do this is to setup a main state page with sub pages for each state and unique content on the state pages although they are all about the same subject so will be a challenge! And then I would also have 50 child State pages hanging of the main parent page. Not sure if that solves the ranking problem but is the best I can come up with right now. But anyway thanks for pointing that out.
  15. No Profile Picture

Yeah, that is the problem with targeting all 50 states..... it's hard to make each page unique with out duplicating content and appearing as a dwp to Google.

Take the time to find differences between the states laws and concentrate on those differences and how to illuminate that in your content. Look for caveats on handgun ownership. Why some states are more lenient than others. Why some are more strict.

I am sure with enough research on your part, you will succeed !