1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Question Question bout keywords in domain...

Well I am trying to optimise 1 domain for 2 search terms...

Example:

Lets say the first search term is: Play Uncool

And second is: Real Cool

I thought of buying: playrealuncool.com because then I will get both terms in my domain right?

But will the search engine see e.g. "play uncool" in my domain name when someone searches for "play uncool"? Or will it be mixed up since real is between play and uncool?

Hope you understand what I mean...

Anyways I am NOT buying playrealuncool.com if someone thought that... I just dont want to reveal what I will optimize for...

Thanks
  3. The Dude

I am not an expert but my understanding was that your keyword in your domain no longer has any effect at all. I would just try to get a name that is easy to remember and spell. I think thats much more important.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh... well if thats so...

anyways another question:

Since I am optimizing for 2 search terms... is it ok to have 2 links on the same page to my new website on another website just with different anchor text?
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Keywords in your domain can have an enormous difference. The reason.. it determines how people link to you.

Let's say I want to build a website about Brass Widgets but instead of registering "BrassWidgets.com" I register "EGOLswebsite.com". Once that is done lots of people will link to me with the words EGOLs Website and only a few will link to me with Brass Widgets. My competitor then registers BrassWidgets.com and whips my *** for searches on "brass widgets" with a fraction of my links.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thats True!

But exept that, doesnt keywords in domain make any difference?
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I've noticed that using the target keyword within the url does give you a certain advantage, but it's only minimal. I've experimented with this quite a lot and I've noticed this advantage only taking place in low competitive markets... in other words in markets where keywords don't have high bids in adwords.

This could be because of two reasons:

a) It could be because when you target highly competitive markets/keywords (important ones) these are generally full of competition and this means there are many well optimized sites out there competing with you, with hundreds or thousands of links, etc and the url factor, all though it exists, is largely out weighted by all those other factors. Many other factors in fact due to the large amount of well optimized sites in this case.

So the url advantage cannot be perceived clearly anymore, all though it's probably still taken into account by google.

or...

b)It could be happening because google is diminishing or eliminating the url factor/importance in highly competitive markets/keywords only. This can very well be the case. It is certainly something that I would probably do if I was google. After all, good content for viewers is google's main concern and I don't see how giving an unfair advantage to the "good" url owner would benefit all the viewers (google's users/clients).

By the way: what Egol just mentioned is indeed very important consideration (strategy) and is rarely mentioned in ebooks or in forums.
    He is totally correct!
    Coqui
    Last edited by Coqui Colunge; Oct 28th, 2006 at 05:26 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Keywords in domains can help grately when you are registering a very specific name, like your name or a special company that is going to emerge in the near future.

Because if your company or your websites become successful, your company name (Your domain name) can itself become a search term.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by StingPro
    I am not an expert but my understanding was that your keyword in your domain no longer has any effect at all. I would just try to get a name that is easy to remember and spell. I think thats much more important.
    I had a very revealing experience about it only 3 weeks ago. My colleague and I have registered a quite competitive keyworded domain in blog format that is still in construction(no content whatsoever). With only a couple of links (1 of them is even nofollow because is coming from another blog but Yahoo seems to take it into account anyway) we got number 6 position for those keywords in google.co.uk. The competition for this keyword is 11,800,000 websites and 483,000 for exact phrase search(for that one we rank the 3rd).

It is pretty obvious it has impact on ranking, i would even say a big impact.
  17. I Never Finish Anythi
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Keeping it short, Yea it surely does have a impact.. rather pretty much of it..

The allinurl benefit does makes an impact on the SERPS too..

But even if the domains have the keywords, links are what bring them forward to visitors and SE`s..

Else, thats a fair deal.. has to benefit..
    Link Diary - Build Links Fast & Easy. Similar to Linkmarket, with option of three way link exchange and anchor rotation.

**"Save SEO Industry - GO VIRAL!! - Tips and Tricks ."**
    **"Live, not just to survive, But to Rule."**
  19. No Profile Picture

Same problem with Yahoo!

I'm having the same problem with Yahoo! My domain name on every other site where I type the name of the company (eg...Good Trucks) (URL address blocked: See forums rules) doesn't show up in the top 100 of the Yahoo! search engine??? I don't have this problem with Google or MSN. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

P.s. The site IS indexed. I can find it by typing in the url and it has 30 some pages indexed from my site.

Thanks,
    Mike