1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question about backlinking again

My competitor is ranking number 2 on google with 0 backlinks. How does one website managed to rank so high in a short time (less than a year) with no backlinks?

I have been using moz free tool to check competitor's backlinks. Is this tool reliable and accurate? I have included the link below and hopefully some SEO expert could answer my question.

zh.seniorcid.hk/
    Last edited by Rhonda_lam; Oct 10th, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

It is important to know that not only backlinks are a solely responsible for ranking a website. There are a lot more factors which together contribute towards top search ranking. Moz's free tool is not at all bad, for more precise results, you can use other free tools at the same time and compare their results to get a better answer.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. What other tools do you recommend?
  7. No Profile Picture

Majestic and Ahrefs are probably the best ones to find competitor's backlinks.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Spy glass works very well.
  11. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Whose site is this?

zh.seniorcid.hk/
  13. No Profile Picture

Just my husband's competitor's website.
  15. No Profile Picture

If they have good internal linking to that URL ( lets say their homepage is DA PA 100 100 - TF CF 60 60 ) and they link that URL to homepage their new page will rank way higher than without internal linking as link juice will pass after some time to their new page and make it stronger, that is why you always need good internal linking when it comes to SEO too, they might also have very fast website load page, way older domain with content than yours, etc etc. Maybe they used too much keywords , images, tags.
    There are lots of factors as they said above in comments. Even tho backlinks count there are also much more factors to also do to rank high except backlinks ( PBNs )
    Last edited by Test-ok; Nov 6th, 2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Self promoting
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi Rhonda_lam

I am just going to mention one additional thing, we do not know the search term that you used.

It is possible that the search term has zero or very very low traffic, and no other site is targeting that term. In which case that site will rank high even #1 with no backlinks. We call this low hanging fruit btw! I will mention, that in LOCAL SEARCH, fewer backlinks are required, part of the Possum Update I think. I may be wrong on the name of the update...

What was the search term used ????? That may shed more light on this subject.

Also it seems your competitor is monitoring the threads on SeoChat concerning your site and theirs... they have started implementing the recommendations you have been getting from here ...

here is a code snippet from their source code of the home page....its a picture , so you can't simply copy and paste.. didn't want to mention the site name again ....
    Here is also the keywords they are targeting.... one reason we don't recommend using the keyword meta tag!!

They also removed the mixed Chinese and English from the pages, notice they use the sub domain for Chinese and the WWW site for en hk
    This forum is very powerful... threads here get picked up rather quickly. The mere mention of a site here can result in this forum ranking above the site mentioned !

Your competitor does have 3 links as reported by this free tool >>>> WebMeUp.Com
    (as to the quality of the links, that would take a little research)

19. No Profile Picture

Yes Backlinks are not only responsible for ranking a website. There are many factors that help to make your website top on SERP. It depends upon the user friendly websites, right on page optimization and other factors.