1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Punished for same META keyword & description?

Here's what I'm planning

META keywords and META description identical that contain some words from the title and some words from the page text.

Title that contains a few main keywords with some identical to the META's above.

Page text with a line at bottom of page in small font that is identical to META keywords (don't have to use this one if its dangerous to)

Lastly, do I benefit from commas to separate my meta keywords? I'd prefer to not need them for my database building process where I will manually type them. Unless someone has a software suggestion

Please advise how the engines in general will like this overall plan and would it be bad to use any of the above. Don't want to get punished by mister crawler!

Thanks all. Happy to have found these forums!

-azhummer
    Last edited by azhummer; Jul 28th, 2003 at 02:17 PM.
  3. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Removing Meta Description and Meta Keyword would help to produce better rankings. ;)
  5. No Profile Picture

ut oh, your not even kidding.
    well, you know your shtuff.

should i leave em blank (content="") or not have the tags at all?
  7. rod@missionop.com

Although minor search engines still use them - they weigh your pages down in Google.

If you really want them keep them short - a ten word description and five keywords that are actually on the page.

But removing completely will have no negative effects what-so-ever. ;)
  9. Registered User

Originally posted by fathom
    Although minor search engines still use them - they weigh your pages down in Google.
    I find this very interesting, thanks fathom for the 4-1-1.

I just get scared about putting all my eggs in one basket :-D

I think if those minor search engines still use them I lean toward including METAs. But I keep it short and sweet, mainly just one keyword and one sentence description.

Maybe I should change my ways
  11. rod@missionop.com

Welcome to SEOChat MiloCold -- always glad to see a new member post! ;)
  13. Registered User

Thanks Fathom! Looks like I've got quite a bit of reading to do
  15. Registered User

Is that Fact, Fiction, or BS?

I always find it very interesting to see comments from others giving advice about such things like "keep your Meta tags short or it will weigh down your pages in Google" and finding they have a grayed out PR!!!

That is a BIG pile of BS!!! If there was any truth to that then someone please tell me how I can get a PR between 5 & 3 on all the different pages of my site with each page having Meta tags in EXCESS of 25,000 characters or over 300 lines?????

90% of my all pages have this amount of Meta tags using 7 different type of tags and I am NOT being penalized but hold a page one rank on Google for over 100 keywords. Take a look at the source code on my main page and you will see for yourself. You can read more on the different Meta tags that I am using at http://www.renegadesolutions.net/development.shtml

As I have stated on a previous post. Before you listen to others making a comment about what you should and should not do, click on their profile and then go to their web site to see what type of PR they have. If they have a good PR then what they have to say must be credible and what they are doing must work.

Long ago my mentor told me NEVER to listen to someone that is not doing better than you are!!
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

*has been eating a steady diet of BS, likes it, and finds it especially good for building healthy PR* :-P

Last edited by EGOL; Jul 29th, 2003 at 07:24 PM.
  19. rod@missionop.com

Re: Is that Fact, Fiction, or BS?

Originally posted by The Renegade
    I always find it very interesting to see comments from others giving advice about such things like "keep your Meta tags short or it will weigh down your pages in Google" and finding they have a grayed out PR!!!

That is a BIG pile of BS!!! If there was any truth to that then someone please tell me how I can get a PR between 5 & 3 on all the different pages of my site with each page having Meta tags in EXCESS of 25,000 characters or over 300 lines?????
    PageRank has nothing to do with long or short Meta Tags, or file size. PageRank development is base on "Links". Thus my BS is better than your BS! ;)

90% of my all pages have this amount of Meta tags using 7 different type of tags and I am NOT being penalized but hold a page one rank on Google for over 100 keywords. Take a look at the source code on my main page and you will see for yourself. You can read more on the different Meta tags that I am using at http://www.renegadesolutions.net/development.shtml
    Never implied a penalty would be served - your comment is irrelevant! ;)

I have 6000+ at #1, and about 300 competing against 10,000,000 + pages but admittedly client's sites.

As I have stated on a previous post. Before you listen to others making a comment about what you should and should not do, click on their profile and then go to their web site to see what type of PR they have. If they have a good PR then what they have to say must be credible and what they are doing must work.
    hmmm... I guess you are implying that because my profile site is PR0 - I must be giving bad advice.

You would be dead wrong, but I'll let you believe what you wish. .

Long ago my mentor told me NEVER to listen to someone that is not doing better than you are!!]
    Well my friend - although sound advice by your mentor - you have misinterpreted his meaning at least from an online perspective.

He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool.
    Shun him.
    He who knows not, and knows that he knows not is simple.
    Teach him.
    He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep.
    Waken him.
    He who knows, and knows that he knows is wise.
    Follow him.
    Arabian Proverb
    I know - that I know - and it does not bother me that you think I don't. ;)
    Last edited by fathom; Jul 30th, 2003 at 03:15 AM.