1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Product Naming Impact On SEO

my company is in the B2B field and uses acronyms or abbreviations for its products (LTF, VE, WLS...). I'm wondering if there is anything I should consider when choosing a new abbreviation or acronym for a new product? Do I have to worry about another company using the same abbreviation? what if another company that isn't in the same industry has a same model naming convention? Does that mean I would compete in the SERPs?

Hope my question makes sense. I'm trying to make sure the new product name doesn't have any SEO implications that would prevent us from gettting organic traffic.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What do these acronyms stand for? And where are they..in the title, content, internal links?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    What do these acronyms stand for? And where are they..in the title, content, internal links?
    Sorry for the late response. LTF = Laser Time of Flight, VE = Vission made Easy, WLS = Work Light Strip. Its interesting in how the company uses these acronyms because they aren't spelled out for anybody to understand. Its more of an internal naming convention...

So you will not see Laser Time of Flight or Work Light Strip anywhere on the pages. Also, another thing to consider. Sometimes we will add a number after the two or three leter model. The nubmer usually indicates a distance or lumination level. Again, none of this stuff is really spelled out as a key on the company website.

Hope this answers your questions.
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If I were you i would use such naming for product references and use a more user friendly name for products with an integration on a prestashop or magento website in catalog mode if you are not planning to sell them directly online.

But if you really want to name the product this way and you plan that people will search for these terms directly in SERP then you should definitively take a look at the competition because let's say LTF300 is already a very well know video camera (just an exemple) it's going to be hard for you to compete in SERP and Adwords will be more expensive both in terms of CPC and in terms of acquisition because a lot of click will be expecting a camera instead of your product.

To make sure competition is low just compile a list of all your abbreviations and run them into adwords planner, if competition is low your generally fine but you should still double check random terms in SERP and analyse competing pages.

Hope this will help you.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Pierre Benneton
    If I were you i would use such naming for product references and use a more user friendly name for products with an integration on a prestashop or magento website in catalog mode if you are not planning to sell them directly online.

But if you really want to name the product this way and you plan that people will search for these terms directly in SERP then you should definitively take a look at the competition because let's say LTF300 is already a very well know video camera (just an exemple) it's going to be hard for you to compete in SERP and Adwords will be more expensive both in terms of CPC and in terms of acquisition because a lot of click will be expecting a camera instead of your product.

To make sure competition is low just compile a list of all your abbreviations and run them into adwords planner, if competition is low your generally fine but you should still double check random terms in SERP and analyse competing pages.

Hope this will help you.
    This is great feedback! Thank you