1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Press Releases still worth it??

Hey guys

Just wondering, does anyone use Press Release submissions as part of their SEO strategy?
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Hm, not sure what others think...but I feel like a very specifically targeted, personalized (so probably not submitted but done in-house) set of press releases can be useful if you're trying to get something in front of the right eyes. There are tools to do such things, but they can be quite expensive.

Is there a difference between "press release submissions" and "sending out press releases" though? Whenever I hear people talk about the former, they always seem to imply that there are some guaranteed links to be gained there...which I really doubt. And even if there are, I imagine they're worthless in this day and age. Probably more spammy than anything. But if you get a press release out to a local carpentry magazine and they feature your cabinet building tutorial or event on their website, that could be cool.

My gut feeling is that it's a very overused and under-optimized form of outreach. Just another tool in the box. Sometimes you might want to reach a specific writer, too, and not the magazine's general "PR inbox," in which case a press release would not be as useful as individual outreach.

I could be totally off-base. I'm sure some of our other members will have more to say.

Comments on this post

• ryandiscord agrees
    • deadpebbley agrees
  5. Contributing User

Thnaks Mark. I'm going to use Press Releases, even though there is reason not to, but they will be highly optimised and placed on paid press release submission sites like yahoo finance for example.
  7. Contributing User

As long as the press releases are done in the country you would like to rank with - the reason i say this is that i've tried out press releases which are very common for US sites before and they made zero difference in ranking for my UK sites..
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by deadpebbley
    Thnaks Mark. I'm going to use Press Releases, even though there is reason not to, but they will be highly optimised and placed on paid press release submission sites like yahoo finance for example.
    Don't waste your money. Your press release will be picked up and reproduced on a lot of garbage sites, but the links are worthless. And you won't get any real press coverage.

If you want press coverages (and the high-value links that come with it), hire a professional publicist to develop newsworthy content, and get it in front of the right people.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees