1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Poor domain and page authority

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have been running a crossword solving website for several years now and can't seem to get it to the next level.

By its very nature I'd expect traffic to fluctuate, some days the most popular crosswords must be harder than others and I'd expect to see an increase in traffic or vice versa - this doesn't seem to be the case, if I compare today to the same day last week the level of traffic is uncannily within 0.5% of what I achieved the same day last week. We are talking about 5k visits a day - not huge numbers, but it feels like google is almost creating a ceiling that I cannot break through.
    Every few months I suddenly get a burst of traffic - like a 10% increase and the site will stay at that level for several months before the next burst. It really does look like traffic is being controlled and limited.

The content is extremely time sensitive, e.g. today's popular crosswords need to be indexed by google today... I have pretty good results for some crosswords, sometimes my answer pages get indexed within 20 minutes but other times they don't get indexed at all.

I've had the website analysed by a couple of SEO firms and the feedback I got is essentially that the site may appear to google as a bit spammy as the content changes so often... can this be true?

The other SEO issue is page and domain authority - both pretty poor - less than 20/100 on many online analysers.

A few points on my site:

1. I have a couple of sitemaps that are resubmitted when they are changed - sometimes about 5 times a day.
    2. The clue pages have an AMP version that google seems to like.
    3. The website is mobile friendly and responsive
    4. SSL Secured

My understanding is that I can get better domain authority by embracing social networks more and by gaining high quality backlinks, but how can I gain good page authority if the critical pages are less than 24 hours old and may not even be indexed by google?.

The website in question is crosswordassistant.com

Any ideas or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
  3. Contributing User

Brusts of traffic after a gap of few months is a regular development for many of our sites.
    It is an indication that you do not have continuous link building happening. When some links happen because of some popular or viral crossword going around you would naturally see a brust. Its natural. If you wish to make it a regular affair then you will need links on a regular basis. Again how to get those is the hardwork you need to figure out.

Lower DA / PA is another indication you need more quality backlinks. Try all those big DA PA sites of social nature that offer profile links. Try to be as relevant as possible in this case. Be actively busy on these so that your profile page gathers more juice internally. This will latter pass on to your domain.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your response Envigo... I intend to do some new things on facebook and twitter to improve user interaction.

This is where SEO annoys me, everyone says to concentrate on quality content etc... I have over 50% returning visitors and lots of positive feedback, but because people don't link to it I am seemingly punished... I have tried share functionality etc but offering crossword answers is not the sort of thing people like to share "Hey check out this crossword website everyone... I cheated on the crossword".

It's a tough game, I'm going to spend my time on the content of my site, not chasing backlinks etc.. Thankfully the site is a hobby of mine not a business, it's just sad that Google doesn't recognise the effort I have put in and i'm expected to seek links that google may or may not punish me for. It is what it is I guess, you can't force people to link to you, as long as they have a positive experience on the site that's all that matters to me, hopefully natural growth will pick up in the months and years ahead.
  7. Contributing User

Looks like you or whoever did your SEO has spammed the site. One of your top links is a Dubai dog walking site. You have hair loss website links and not much to do with crossword puzzles linking to you. Your FB page only has 6 likes and I am assuming no traffic. You get 5,000 visitors a day is a good thing but there is plenty of room for growth for sure.
  9. No Profile Picture

I tottaly agree, you have to eliminate these poor links. But 5.000 visitors are from organic traffic ?
  11. No Profile Picture

How/where are you seeing that? I'm confused...
  13. No Profile Picture

Are you referring to other sites linking to my content? how can i remove them?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is where SEO annoys me, everyone says to concentrate on quality content etc... I have over 50% returning visitors and lots of positive feedback, but because people don't link to it I am seemingly punished...
    Fist of all I would make this website more presentable - better design but this is not the point why are you not ranking and not getting links.

1. I would optimize H1 Title to keywords that you are ranking for

2. Your typical page with crosswords has about 30 crosswords stack together. When I click on a riddle it takes me to the answer page/clues page. Ok but how can I share just a riddle without pointing my link straight away to the answer page. Give people an option to share the mystery without giving them the answer.

3. Million Dollar Idea Alert!
    Next to page menu where you have Trending, Recent, Unsolved etc. I would add page FUNNY - what I noticed in you backlink profile is that people have a tendency to link to your content that is funny, mostly pages that have funny clues added by members. Use it! Chanel part of your traffic to it. It will bring a lot of new links.

4. Finally, I would add an option to randomly create online chessboard crossword puzzle, because that create some variation to your content and 70% of your competitors have it.

Comments on this post

• Crossword agrees : Thanks.
    Last edited by Foreprime SEO; Mar 2nd, 2017 at 01:47 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture

Foreprime SEO - Thanks so much for your feedback, I agree with you in the most part - I'm happy the design is going in the right direction as have had very positive feedback from the users, the H1 tags are fine for the target market and seem to be working okay... I take your ideas on-board and am curious how you have seen links to funny crosswords, I only use google webmaster tools to view websites linking to my site and they are mostly spammy or irrelevant - what tool are you using to see links to my site?

I'm going to post a new question regarding backlinks as webmaster tools doesn't seem very comprehensive.