1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Please give feedback on new landing/pages

I'm doing my best to provide (more) (unique) content to my website and like to ask for some feedback.

Please find an example here: hellolodge.nl/nl/regios/landen-uitgelicht/ and if you select one of those you are directed into the search application with a specific detail landing text in the header: hellolodge.nl/nl/zoek/nederland/?landing

Is this kind of content welcomed by google and/or how can i further improve?

I'm for instance thinking about extending the slugs to include more keywords, however this would also means i need to 301 on the old keywords which i only like to do when it actually gives some positive results in terms of ranking/visitors?

Thanks for any hints/tips,
    Paul
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by paul9912
    I'm doing my best to provide (more) (unique) content to my website and like to ask for some feedback.

Please find an example here: hellolodge.nl/nl/regios/landen-uitgelicht/ and if you select one of those you are directed into the search application with a specific detail landing text in the header: hellolodge.nl/nl/zoek/nederland/?landing

Is this kind of content welcomed by google and/or how can i further improve?

I'm for instance thinking about extending the slugs to include more keywords, however this would also means i need to 301 on the old keywords which i only like to do when it actually gives some positive results in terms of ranking/visitors?

Thanks for any hints/tips,
    Paul
    Hello Paul,

Your site seems to pull from a database (or multiple ones) to populate the pages with content - like the holiday homes available for rent on the Netherlands page. There just so happens to be an amazing article/case study, done by two members of SeoChat (Chedders and Thomas Harvey) that I think will help you understand how little the content actually does to give a site rank. I'm not saying you should remove it, but read what these two guys did and think of how you can do some of the same things on your site.
    here's the article i'm referring to: Bookmark this

After that, and before spending too much time coming up with awesome content, I'd take another look at the code. As an example, The page title (<title></title) of the Netherlands landing page can use some work. First of all, It's pretty long. Second, It's the same wording (it seems) that I found on your home page describing your site (just under the search feature). Use the title tag on the landing pages to talk about each page individually. In other words... if the landing page is for holiday rental homes in the netherlands, try making the title:
    <title>Holiday Rental Homes in the Netherlands</title> (I'm not sure if "rental" is how people in your part of the world would refer to what you offer, so adjust accordingly). Then, on the landing page for Austria, make the page title "Holiday Rental Homes in Austria" (again, just an example).

There are some other basic SEO best practices it seems you're missing as well. One of the authors of the article above built and provides a great free tool you can use to check for on-page SEO:
    Page Explorer, to check onsite SEO tags and elements

I'd try and fix as many problems that Page-Explorer points out for you before worrying and spending too much time on content, and if you read that case study above, you'll see why you're time may be better spent doing SEO tactics other than great unique content.

Hope this helps sir, and let us know how the project goes.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Its funny and great when you see your work being talked about unprompted

Although we have not posted a lot about that site of late we have been busy building a site to do monthly reporting on all the projects we are working on. It just made sense to do it on there and not clog up SEOChat with posting all the time until we start publishing some of the results of tests we are running.

If your interested in following the project or others we are doing take a look at https://overwork.co.uk/ I know Tom is busy at the moment gathering all the stats to show growth and reporting on what we have done to achieve it.

The site is really new (just this week) so dont expect too much from it yet.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Just had a quick look on your site, got to say it does look good.

Any way you could get the images hosted on your site? I know we've had good success with Zebo with our image rankings, it may be a worthwhile move for you too. (Chris would know about the practicalities of it though).
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  9. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Ya Thomas has a good point there.
    In our case some of the content suppliers where still on HTTP, yeap shock I know. But we started off as you have as you have, hot linking the images from the original source.
    This however then breaks the security of the SSL so you get mixed content. Not good but even if all the suppliers where on SSL hotlinking like that does you no favours.

So I wrote what I guess you could call an image proxy, all it is is a web service which grabs the image in background and then serves the image from our site which is SSL so that fixed the mixed content issue. It also has the added benefit though that the images are coming from our site so become cacheable which drastically improves page load speed and allows images to appear in image search for our site and not the suppliers. So drives you more traffic.

Its these little things that makes the difference that nobody normally will see or care about but attention to little things like that can have a drastic effect overall.
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs up

I like your feedback; thanks! I'll definitely try the tool and go through the document you're referring to.
    Paul