1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thumbs up Permalinks! /%postname%/%category%/ ???

Hello,

So I've been trying to come up with some permanlink structures for my newly created Blog.

I'm debating on 3 different structures to use:

1. /%postname%/
    2. /%category%/%postname%/
    3. /%postname%/%category%/

The 1st one is something I really liked, but as my website grows, and as more categories potentially open up, this will be counterintuitive to my long-term goals.

i.e, Foodd.com/the-10-super-foods-we-all-need-to-eat/

The 2nd one is common and well used amongst big and small blogs across the world. It's something I would use, but as we all know, having your keywords closer to the start of a URL is always better than having it at the end.

i.e, Foodd.com/organic/the-10-super-foods-we-all-need-to-eat/

The 3rd one is something I'm really interested in trying. It seems like it would be good for ranking keywords (due to it being closer to start of URL), and at the same time, people can see what category it belongs to.

i.e, Foodd.com/the-10-super-foods-we-all-need-to-eat/organic/

My question is, what do you think about using the 3rd option? What are the PROs and CONs? Can it be a viable option to take?

Thanks,
    Kevin.
    Last edited by shinigaml; Jun 30th, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I'm using 'blog/category/postname' on my photography blog. I wanted it to show the category first then the name of the post. If you aren't tied on using the category, you might think about year/month/day/postname or something like that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The common good one for a future Big website is /%category%/%postname%/ as long as you are sure that you will have a lot of categories on your wordpress blog... this structure is the best to use...
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by shinigaml
    but as we all know, having your keywords closer to the start of a URL is always better than having it at the end
    Really? Yes it matters in a title, but in a url? Any advantage will be so minimal that one good link would matter more imo.
    In addition, using postname/category is counter-intuitive... You are effectively creating a new category with every post and each category contains one sub-category. You will have a wide range of categories and a small range of sub-categories... A very unusual set-up (which is why everybody does it the other way 'round).

There is some merit in your first suggestion (postname only) especially if you are thinking of adding lots more categories, (given that some old posts may belong in new categories too, this would allow you to go back and add them to new categories but still keep their url the same).

Comments on this post

• Mushu agrees : Tottaly agree with every word. Not much else to say about it ;-)
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]