Thread: Pagination

1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Pagination

Hi Guys,

I am making some recommendations of Pagination so rel=next and prev is compulsory.

However, Google recommends a 'view all' page that is the canonical version linked to as canonical fro each paginated page.

But if we did this, the page itself as a view-all would be huge and load time would be incredibly slow as a result of it being very heavy.

Is there a way around this, or should I just stick to rel-next/prev, and forget the canonical to a view all page?

HJJ
  3. Contributing User

In addition to this,

In Search Console URL Parameters, if we are applying a URL String for a Query (q) of which reduces the content on the page to show results matching that query but retains

E.g

> Motoring News Page with a [Search Bar]
    > Enters, 'Mazda'
    > Shows results for news articles matching the search term 'Mazda',

Should this be noted in Search Console as,

• 'Narrows' (Google: Displays a subset of content specified by the parameter. For example, filters for only dresses in size M.)
    or...
    • 'Specifies' (Google: Specifies what the page is about (for example, the subject, audience, item number, etc).

Then my gut feeling is to have the search query trigger a new Meta Title rather than the Title remaining static.

Thanks in advance guys,

HJJ
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'd recommend you stick to the rel=prev/next. When it comes to Pagination, you don't HAVE to use View All, nor is it even advisable all of the time, depending on site size, user experience and load times.

Google's only "real" preference is that a user doesn't land on page 8 of 73, in the middle of some random series of pages; they've done user studies that indicate users don't like this and will often bounce back to the search results. They like View All or Page 1s. Using either a View All page OR rel=prev/next will address that issue.

1) If you use View All, all of the content across the various paginated URLs will canonical to the View All page and users will be displayed that in the SERPs. You seem fairly certain that the number of items on the page is going to be a lot, so load time is a concern. You might be able to use JS or Ajax or something like that which will load more content as users need/request it, but that all depends on CMS, developer resources, etc. You'd also have to ensure that Googlebot can fully crawl the page, even the parts not immediately rendered to users. But, if you were able to implement something like that, it might eliminate the load time concern a bit. But it'd be a big move for maybe a small issue.

2) If you use rel=next/prev, then all of the content across the various paginated URLs will be "credited" if you will to Page 1 and that's what will show in the SERPs. This includes link equity than any deeper page might have. Googlebot will crawl all the paginated URLs, but only one will display in the SERPs for the cat/subcat - just Page 1. This achieves the same result in terms of user preferences for which page they land on and it just requires a little coding to tie together the paginated URLs correctly. You don't have to worry about load times, nor investigate any JS/Ajax to mitigate load times.

In my experience, Googlebot doesn't really have any preferences either way, and unless the CMS has a View All page as a default, then going out of the way to create and implement one when there is already rel=prev/next functionality, is unnecessary - particularly when load times/number of items is a concern right off the bat.

I hope that helps.

Comments on this post

• Ann Smarty agrees : Thanks!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In the example you provided, I'd have to say "narrows", as I'm assuming ALL news stories are on the Motoring News page (or series of paginated URLs) and then the search query filters them down to JUST Mazda.

If there are NO news stories shown until a query is entered, then you can use "specifies".

Hope that helps.