1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Pages being outranked by non relevant pages

The site I'm working on has a couple of landing pages. Until recently both ranked equally for their respective keywords.

Then all of a sudden, Google decided that landing page 1 would be better suited ranking keywords targeted on landing page 2. Of course this isn't as optimised, so all the keywords now rank in the 100's instead of 10's (what was that Google? Quality you say?).

I've read several posts on how to address and am working on a few things but these are going to take time. Another option would be to 301 redirect page 2 to page 1 - there are plenty of links already and it could potentially boost page 1 rankings. I'm fully aware that page 1 will continue to rank poorly for the non relevant keywords but more concerned as to what Google might think of this "superpage".

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by noobuk
    The site I'm working on has a couple of landing pages. Until recently both ranked equally for their respective keywords.

Then all of a sudden, Google decided that landing page 1 would be better suited ranking keywords targeted on landing page 2. Of course this isn't as optimised, so all the keywords now rank in the 100's instead of 10's (what was that Google? Quality you say?).
    It may be that your pages have dipped into the gray area of being doorway pages ( against Google's TOS ) and this is Google's response to it. Look the issue over from that view point. It may hold your answer and your solution.

Google is always doing algo tweaks, and this could very well be a side-effect of a tweak.
  5. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

against Google's TOS
    I know many of them will against with me but do you really think people cares about that? Is the same case for PBN networks or other manipulated technics?

My only the point is how you do this. I never refer any unethical practice but people are doing this and getting leads and eventually reviews for their firms. And the lists of huge.

If you really want to do real SEO then our limitations are limited as Fathom said: "SEO is a collaborative process."
    1. On-page Content provide the phrases
    2. On-site link anchors provides the relatedness (weight & relevancy)
    3. Off-site links provide the juice that makes the other 2 parts works
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Mar 9th, 2017 at 05:07 AM.
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Before going for an aggressive strategy like 301 redirects:

1. Check internal links. Make sure your internal links are optimized for the page you want to rank on page 1.
    2. Try getting more links to your ideal page. If the page 2 site has more links it might be because people think it's more useful.
    How do users think? Do they like the other pages first?
  9. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Try getting more links to your ideal page
    Creating backlinks will push your site in danger that is against Google guidelines. So leave that and work on your content so you can get some external referrals. That will enough for rankings.