Thread: Page titles

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Page titles

What is the current best practice for page titles.

If I have a keyword for "how to lose weight fast". Should the page title only include this phrase or should it include other related words such as "how to lose weight fast with this great diet plan"
    Last edited by walksindorset; Apr 26th, 2017 at 11:51 AM.
  3. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

There are sometimes reasons to add more than one keyword focus in a title. But I usually try to focus each page on one phrase, especially in competitive markets.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Why don't you write down 3 or 4 different versions of what you think the title should or could be. Look at them, now we all know we should include our most important keywords in the title and the more important the closer to the beginning of the title it should be.

The 1st is way to short, 22 characters, a waste of you best SEO realestate, your title ! The 2nd is 49 char, again wasting space. As of May 2016 the maximum length of your title can be 70 characters. So I really think you can do way better than either of the two you have asked about.

I think most, if not all of the of pro's here know this, but just in case I get called on this 70 character limit....

New Title & Description Lengths for Google SEO in Search Results

Now take the important keywords you have, and go to Google, then search them. Look at the top ten results, examine their titles. Note how they are constructed, and do the same. I am not saying copy them, but emulate their techniques. Those sites are on page 1 for a reason.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : With most of this
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Apr 26th, 2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would use weight loss or lose weight as the title and use the page content to cover the rest.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Apr 26th, 2017 at 06:00 PM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Test-ok

Which part do you not disagree with ?
  11. SEO Since 97

sorry that was susposta be I agree but the only part I disagree with is.
    Using all the characters along with wasting space, I believe short and sweet that describes the page is the best, along with page content doing the rest of the job.
    which makes sense for "we all know we should include our most important keywords in the title and the more important the closer to the beginning of the title it should be" mainly the "more important the closer to the beginning of the title it should be" part. Short and sweet + descriptive will give a lot more relevance to the search providing the content on said page also embellishes that term/terms. Not seeing the site in question it's also hard to give a precise answer. and I believe page content is as or more powerful than titles along with internal links.
  13. SEO Since 97

In other words just because Google reads 70 characters doesn't mean one should use as much of It as they can.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hey no problem mate, I have accidentally hit the disagree before.... so no worries, it happens. Thanks for clearing it up... For a moment I thought I gave bad info, and I was wondering what it was ????

I just am of the opinion that with the limit at 70, its easier to write a more "natural" title, so as to not look and sound as if it is just for "search engines" but people. Short and sweet is also good ! Like you said it all depends on the niche and the competition.
  17. No Profile Picture

Every title must be of 60 Characters and with one targeted keyword

Comments on this post

• Test-ok : Total b.s.
  19. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by Kereana K
    Every title must be of 60 Characters and with one targeted keyword
    Totally wrong.

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago agrees
  21. Contributing User

If you are looking to rank for "how to use weight fast" why not do a landing page and a blog post? Do one with only those words in the title, and one with more words?

Then you can see which page is getting ranked over time and focus more on that page...
  23. No Profile Picture

Page title has a major role in the website when ever the search engine crawler crawls the website it will compare the url with the content of the website and it also compares with the Keywords in the title tag.
  25. Contributing User

I actually measure using the Pixel Width (600 pixel width), and not characters. I also try to make my title enticing and not just make sure the keyword is included and at the beginning. I also agree with Test-OK about not having to use up all the allotted characters for the title. Your title can have 45 or 50 characters and still be a good ranking tittle.

What about something like '5 ways to burn fat and loose weight fast' (316 Pixel Width), or '5 ways to burn fat and loose weight fast and feel healthy' (448 Pixel Width). Again, I will have to look at the article/post before I choose one or make some changes.
  27. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    In other words just because Google reads 70 characters doesn't mean one should use as much of It as they can.
  29. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Does Google read or show 70? Or read AND show. At one time, keywords Not shown in the title still influenced SERPS.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: