1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

On page optimisation

I know how to optimise a website or web page. I think this is not enough to be an expert. What other things I should learn to optimise a website like an expert do.
    Recently I am trying to learn HTML.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Tandra,
    Do you really know how to optimise a website or web page? I've been trying to learn this for 23 years. I think I know the basics but G keeps moving the goal posts in its ongoing drive to deliver more useful results in a world where the searchers are also constantly changing how they search. To add to the complexity, the SEs need to find best answers in a constantly expanding database. (In 2000, G was designed to find answers in an index of 100 million pages. Now it has to find the most useful answer from 130 trillion documents.)

Do you know how to...

• Audit your website for SE problems?
    • Audit your search market & competition?
    • Assess SE opportunities and problems?
    • Identify then implement cost-effective SE strategies and tactics?
    • How to assess the info sought by prospective clients as they progress through their purchasing process?
    • How to structure your website to deliver the different info needed by your different target clients?
    • How to structure your site around the individual words used in multiple queries to obtain max. ranking points for them?
    • How RankBrain influences the Google ranking algo in your search market?

If you don't know how to do all the above, you won't be able to implement efficient/effective SEO on a web page or website.

BTW, You do know that SEs primarily assess the individual words in search queries to rank web pages, don't you? The exact sequence of words in a query usually has little impact on a page's ranking.

IMHO, the most cost-effective SEO starts with basic marketing principles.

1. Defining the characteristics of the different customer attributes you want to attract
    2. Define the products/services that are your most profitable
    3. Define the search methods & individual words the target customers are likely to use in queries.
    4. Other than generic SE referrals, what other marketing communications applications does your site need to support? (Eg. Email programs, social media, off-line promotions.)

If you want to claim some level of SEO expertise you will need a program of constant learning, research and education.

I subscribe to over a dozen daily/weekly SEO/marketing news emails. Then there are a small number of Googlers and SEO experts I also follow.

They are not all correct about SEO matters and it takes a long time to learn who to believe and when. So much SEO advice is related to experience in USA big-business markets. This may be irrelevant to smaller country search markets and for small business markets.

I suggest you start your SEO education journey by defining a target search country and a broad search market in that country. Eg. In B2C or B2B markets. In products vs. service markets. In markets where location of searcher is used by RankBrain to influence rankings. In small business vs. big business. Etc.

PS. The hardest part is to learn who to believe and who is passing you SEO garbage. Most of the SEO articles published are inaccurate, misleading or out of date.

Good luck in your SEO journey.

Comments on this post

• matt1966 agrees
    • DaviSP agrees
    • Anaskarim agrees
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you John for your great tips. I started seo for just 3 months and I thought I learn enough but from your this comment I think I am way behind.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Tandra,
    I omitted to include the importance of knowledge about site and SEO monitoring tools.

It is critical that tool users understand what these are measuring and reporting and how/when to use them.

I'm sorry to say this but it seems to me that most comments about various SEO tools and Google Console/Analytics made on SEO Chat suggest that many of their users don't really understand them, their limitations and their applications correctly.

Monitoring results and identifying problems/opportunities with them is another critical facet of SEO.
  9. No Profile Picture

Audit your website, Monitor your competitor Backlinks. Guest Posting and Content Marketing will boost your website ranking.
  11. No Profile Picture

Learning from Competitors strategies is something you could do to improve yours!
  13. No Profile Picture

on page SEO is the practice of optimising individual websites to rank higher on the free organic results and get more traffic on a website, it refers both to content & HTML source code, on page SEO is a better ranking factor and very beneficial activity for our site. we can say that on page SEO is a game of keywords u must analyse that which places are better for keyword and which types of the keyword. u must have known that how to find keywords to a target.
  15. No Profile Picture

On page seo is the main factor to visible and rank in search engine result. You have to implement proper meta data which are relavent to your page. Fresh and quality content is the most important factor to rank on first page of Google.
  17. No Profile Picture

In search engine optimization, on-page optimization refers to factors that have an effect on your Web site or Web page listing in natural search results. These factors are controlled by you or by coding on your page. Examples of on-page optimization include actual HTML code, meta tags, keyword placement and keyword density.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hello Tandra,
    Search engine optimization requires time and patience,you have to be constantly working on your tactics.Since you have been in this field,you know the basics what you should do is analyse you competition and identify their strategies ,Auditing your website is the other thing you could implement for better optimization.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

While on page will take you so far, you need the inbounds. With regards to pure on page. Title tag, h tags and body copy needs to be your focus. I use ibp and seo for page analysis which would do what you are looking for.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Banned

On page, SEO refers to all the activities performed on the websites to get higher ranking and
    more relevant traffic from the search engines.
    On page, SEO is related to the optimization of the content as well as the HTML source code of any
    web page. Some of its aspects include meta tags, title tags, meta description and heading tags.
  25. No Profile Picture

Hi, on-page is good to start with. But you also need to know how to select relevant keywords, off-page, link building etc...
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Apart from inbound links, the only things Google trusts is the things visible to the webpage visitor. So any advise which includes the words 'meta' should normally be ignored. Google is the only search engine to really bother with and with regards to the meta description it may use it to show in the search results snippet, but that's all and its not used for a sites SERP's.

So from a search click CTA thing it has value, but that's as far as it goes..

If you really want to get exact... Title tag - but don't over do it and the body copy and h tags above the fold is what Google really looks at and the closer to the top of the source the better.

Things like alt text and other sorts of markup that cant be 'seen' has so little value as to be useless. In fact the only (and I do mean only) time it comes into play is if Google was to consider two competing pages with equal weight it might be enough for Google to take preference of your page.

Best tip is to watch the series of Matt Cutts videos available on YouTube and look at the source of any of your competitors who on the face of it look like they are doing well. If their markup is crap, then they are being supported by inbound links.

Ironically Google is the only search engine to really weight inbound links so I once looked at competitors markup coming up well on Bing and Yahoo to get a better feel for the on-page aspects that seem to work well.
  29. No Profile Picture

Try to develope website user friendly in terms of SEO. Use unique and quality content on the website.
    Optimize the website by including keywords in the website content and also in the h tags.
    Optimize the images with Alt tags.