Thread: Organic CTR?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Organic CTR?

I've been looking at the search analytics report in google search console and I have been looking at my organic CTRs. I rank number one for a lot of keywords, getting about a 4% CTR. Does that sound about right or is it low?

We have been number one for that keyword for quite a long time so I'm assuming that it is ok. If it was too low it would probably drop from position one wouldn't it?
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Good for you for digging into your analytics so deeply Pinder! Organic CTR will continue to fall as Google continues to push bigger ads and its products above the fold. You should continue to optimize this important element of SEO though, try changing your description by adding a UVP or incentive and see if it improves.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

4% is pretty darn good, especially depending on how many impressions you're getting. I get 1.5M impressions, and my CTR is 1.75%.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    That's great man!

I would also suggest taking a look at which key phrases people are searching to find your website. And if you aren't already optimized for them it would be an easy way to rank quickly for these keywords.

Google webmaster tools is your friend it's the straight dope too because it comes direct from Google.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pinder325,
    CTR is an incredibly variable metric and G. now hides so much search data as to make it of marginal value.

If you are implementing effective SEO, most search queries will not be shown in Analytics.

Depending on your business, the most valuable metrics could well be below the level where G reports anything.

Remember that Analytics is a program to help G sell more Adwords. It is a very poor resource for SEO and you need to be aware of its inherent limitations when translating from Adwords to SEO interpretation.

I find the Analytics generic search landing page report to usually be a far more useful metric.

For the type of clients I worked with, SEO was usually about acquiring new clients. That meant very specific targeting to a small number of people. CTR is an advertising metric for Adwords. I don't see it offering much help for generic searchers.
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JohnAimit
    For the type of clients I worked with, SEO was usually about acquiring new clients. That meant very specific targeting to a small number of people. CTR is an advertising metric for Adwords. I don't see it offering much help for generic searchers.
    Bad advice. If you work to improve your CTR you will get more people to your website. Period. Ignoring this vital metric while quoting the last belch from a social justice minded google executive is where the wasted time lies.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

It’s simply the number of clicks a search result receives, divided by the number of times it’s viewed on the SERP
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pinder325,
    Analytic's CTR numbers can be very misleading and/or inaccurate for many reasons.

You may find you want to track much more relevant CTRs in Analytics than your site's average of 4%.

More relevant CTRs may be in the 20%+ range. I suggest you start with a more detailed understanding of how Analytics reports metrics and how your target clients search.

Some questions for you:

• Why is there often a huge discrepancy between Organic Search sessions in Acquisition -> Channels -> Organic search and the clicks reported in Search Console?
    • Is your Analytics configured to measure and report all relevant search clicks?
    • Is there a specific CTR of relevance to your market?
    • Are there search queries that are more relevant than others?

Let's consider which CTR numbers are relevant to your deliberations - if the appropriate ones are reported by Analytics.

Two customer metrics that are frequently relevant can be location of visitors and the search query they used. There can be major differences in CTRs for these parameters.

Let me offer examples from a client whose site's average CTR is close to yours and what happens with different CTR parameters.

Example Site

Average CTR: 4.71%

Australian searcher's CTR: 5.68%

Target city CTR: Not provided.
    (This is a major limitation in CTR as a performance metric as this client is only targeting searchers in one major city. No city-based CTR numbers are reported.)

Search Console only reports 64% of generic search referrals.
    (Why this huge discrepancy? Is it an Analytics configuration problem? Is related to how Analytics measures CTR?)

Search queries are a huge factor in CTRs. Generally, the longer the search query, the more relevant it is likely to be and the higher the CTR you might expect.

You may rank top of a frequently used search query but its relevance could be very, very low for your target customers. The result being, most of these clicks may not be potential clients.

To use the example site above, search queries that don't include the target city location word in them are typically in the <10% CTR rate. The same queries that also include the city location word in them are typically in the <20% CTR range and a few go up to 100% CTR.

Your CTR remedial action could adopt two different strategies:

1. Increase all of site average CTR
    2. Improve your focus on potential client's search query CTR

The first is likely to be much more expensive as it is more competitive and outcomes will likely be harder to directly measure relevant results.

The second should be much less expensive and generate results that are more likely measurable for relevance.