1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

optimizing homepage URL

Good morning all,

My homepage URL is - www.website.com/keyword/

I have used '/keyword/' just to rank but there is no page exists like /keyword/. Is it ok?

Thank You,
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok let me be elaborate...

see any homepage URL is www.website.com

but my homepage i have made like www.website.com/keyword/ i have redirected www.website.com to www.website.com/keyword/.

is it ok?
  7. SEO Since 97

You made a sub page your home page by redirecting your home page to the sub page?
    I think that's what your saying. If so change it back...that's not good at all.

Take that www.website.com/keyword/ page and optimize it for that keyword your trying to rank for.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Test thank you for your quick reply.

I don't have a webpages called /keyword/ it is my homepage.

Like ex: my home page is www.finance.com/business-loan/ i dont have a subpage called /business-loan/ but my homepage url is www.finance.com/business-loan/ optimized to rank for business loan

this is one trick somebody taught me. Don't know if it is good practice. I want some reason to confirm this as a bad practice.
  11. SEO Since 97

That doesn't even make sense. Who ever told you that has a sad bag of tricks.
    Like I mentioned above:
    Take your www.finance (dot) com and leave it as your home page, optimize it for what your site is about..in this example it would be about finance.
    Take your sub page www.finance (dot) com/business-loan/ and optimize it for business loans.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thank you test. Yes it is not right.
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Sally3
    this is one trick somebody taught me.
    Its not a trick, its someone that knows nothing about seo talking out their backside!

Take no more advice from this person, they clearly know nothing about seo because telling you to redirect your root url to a keyword url page on your site is not going to help in the slightest and if someone is giving you that pointless "advice" (if you can call it advice!) I would bet anything and everything else they tell you is a load of bull too!

Good on you for coming here to check, and in the future make sure you ask here for advice because the members here with good rep (and some new members) really know what they are talking about unlike the person that gave you this silly advice lol
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

its not a webpage how www.website.com/default/ is a URL for home page similarly my homepage URL is www.website.com/keyword/
  19. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

its not a webpage how www.website.com/default/ is a URL for home page similarly my homepage URL is www.website.com/keyword/
    Its just a variation of the home page, it will do nothing for your rankings even if you 301 / to /xyz it will have no effect on your seo! The only think you risk doing is having competitors and googlers keep an eye on your site because they may think your trying to 'game the system' with some sort of black hat IMO.

But to put it quite simply for you. Redirecting / to /keyword will do nothing at all!

It will not help your seo and I'm quite sure it wouldn't damage your seo, thus being a pointless bit of "advice" which the person who told you to do this should have know and thus can't know a great deal about seo or they wouldn't have wasted their breath even mentioning it to you!

By all means create a page on any subject you want, use your home page to give general financial advice and then use /business-loan etc to give information about business loans etc, but there is absolutely no value in redirecting your home page to /business-loan

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  21. SEO Since 97

I don't think Sally get it with the replies I'm seeing.

Sally...lets say you have 4 different key words...mysite.com/keyword1/keyword2/keyword3/keyword4.htm
    Now if you redirect that sub page to be your home page, are your going to rank for all 4 of those keywords...NO?
    It doesn't work that way. Stop taking advice from that numskull.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thank you all for your replies. I got it. I never really appreciated this trick but i wanted some reasons to convince that its not right. Because its working.
  25. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

thank you all for your replies. I got it. I never really appreciated this trick but i wanted some reasons to convince that its not right. Because its working.
    Redirecting your home page to /xyz will not be improving your rankings, it will be the content and links etc which are working, not the redirect!

Replicate what you have on /xyz on your home page and do the same work to the home page and that will rank instead! Remove the redirect and build the same links you have on your home page to /xyz and that will work as well!

The only thing that is ranking your page is the back links you gain and other seo factors, not the the redirect!
  27. SEO Since 97

I've talked with her through email..it's back links and not the Key word sub page extension.