1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Optimize your Optimizations - Bad examples

I am seeing more people using our site to create links and we knew that would happen but the sloppyness of how its being done is amazing.

http://www.prnewsnow.com/Blog/Photo%20Frame/88858

That link is an example of what I am talking about. It SCREAMS link page.

This is an SEO that is following the published how-to's and has no reality to what he has done or what he should really be trying to accomplish.

That page is not 1 link its 300+links. Its syndicated and the folks on the other end have the ability to shut off a specific user. Because I actually have users who seek wedding dress and photo information its one of my top used feed resources.

Plus we gave him a feed of his press releases. Which he can promote him/herself adding power to the pages he puts into our system, But when we look at his feed.

http://www.prnewsnow.com/firebase_xml/self_promote_rss.php?author=Photo%20Frame

Hmmmm 2 articles back to back on photo frames. Who would read that?

The point to this is simple. Not all links are created equal. This person was seeking a link when he should of been seeking Readers. After all the point is to get readers, High search ranks is a tool of getting readers but not the only one.

Imagine a web filled with these useless paragraphs created by SEO companies.

The link would of been there even if he focused on converting wanting readership. Does that point make sense?

Which he can promote him/herself adding power to the pages he puts into our system, But when we look at his feed.
    This brings me to anothe factor Page rank thinking. If you want a site with High page rank you need high ranks pointing at you. At the time he posts this the page will have a zero. So in order to add PR power to his site he would need to add it to the "Release" ( I use that term losely) he created. Since he put up useless content this make it hard to do.

Who does best?
    Entertaining technology and use stories.
    personal thoughts and articles
    Non-fictional news - (Local news does real well for some reason)
    Fictional stories

Hopefully this has been helpful in pointing out that doing the minimum stated by SEO Guru's won't get you squat but crawled. Searches are going to look at the ranking value of the page that sent the link. This one will rank poorly or can be easily overcome by a SEO who cares about quality not just quantity.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

On a side note, what's with the
    [ Site Map 0 ] [ Outgoing Links ] [ Site Map 1 ] [ Site Map 2 ] [ Site Map 3 ] [ Site Map 4 ] [ Site Map 5 ] [ Site Map 6 ] [ Site Map 7 ] [ Site Map 8 ] [ Site Map 9 ] [ Site Map 10 ] [ Site Map 11 ] [ Site Map 12 ] [ Site Map 13 ] [ Site Map 14 ] [ Site Map 15 ] [ Site Map 16 ] [ Site Map 17 ] [ Site Map 18 ] [ Site Map 19 ] [ Site Map 20 ] [ Site Map 21 ] [ Site Map 22 ] [ Site Map 23 ] [ Site Map 24 ] [ Site Map 25 ] [ Site Map 26 ] [ Site Map 27 ] [ Site Map 28 ] [ Site Map 29 ] [ Site Map 30 ] [ Site Map 31 ] [ Site Map 32 ] [ Site Map 33 ] [ Site Map 34 ] [ Site Map 35 ] [ Site Map 36 ] [ Site Map 37 ] [ Site Map 38 ] [ Site Map 39 ] [ Site Map 40 ] [ Site Map 41 ] [ Site Map 42 ] [ Site Map 43 ] [ Site Map 44 ] [ Site Map 45 ] [ Site Map 46 ] [ Site Map 47 ] [ Site Map 48 ] [ Site Map 49 ] [ Site Map 50 ] [ Site Map 51 ] [ Site Map 52 ] [ Site Map 53 ] [ Site Map 54 ] [ Site Map 55 ] [ Site Map 56 ] [ Site Map 57 ] [ Site Map 58 ] [ Site Map 59 ] [ Site Map 60 ] [ Site Map 61 ] [ Site Map 62 ] [ Site Map 63 ] [ Site Map 64 ] [ Site Map 65 ] [ Site Map 66 ] [ Site Map 67 ] [ Site Map 68 ] [ Site Map 69 ] [ Site Map 70 ] [ Site Map 71 ] [ Site Map 72 ] [ Site Map 73 ] [ Site Map 74 ] [ Site Map 75 ] [ Site Map 76 ] [ Site Map 77 ] [ Site Map 78 ] [ Site Map 79 ] [ Site Map 80 ] [ Site Map 81 ] [ Site Map 82 ] [ Site Map 83 ] [ Site Map 84 ] [ Site Map 85 ] [ Site Map 86 ] [ Site Map 87 ] [ Site Map 88 ] [ Site Map 89 ] [ Site Map 90 ] [ Site Map 91 ]
    on your pages....
  5. Contributing User

believe it or not helps dumb crawlers. Keeps every page of the site (84,000 of them) within the 3 level limit. Right now its at the second level and I found that MSN responds better at level 2 than 3.

Ugly but practical.
  7. Contributing User

The software we run on the site we custom built in house and if I want to switch from a 2 level site map to 3 level or no site map at all I can do so with a couple keystrokes.

We do our best to ensure that each press release is actually crawled. We have 104 crawlers hit us each month and we don't just operate on the basis that the Big 3 are the only 3. There lots of "dumb crawlers" out there that deliver large volumes of traffic to us worth $1000's each month in ad revenues.