Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Opinions on Yoast seo

Hello,

I'd like to know how much do you agree on the Yoast seo's advices it gives on WP: some of them I think are very useful, like checking the meta description and title length, but others, like the article length, I think it is craziness. So, do you really pay attention to Yoast and what do you deem as really nonsense?
  3. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Based purely on what newbies come here to post, I'd say that Yoast is a mixed bag as well. If you know a lot about SEO, then you'll know what's important and what you can safely ignore - the Yoast toolset will tell you about everything and let you sort through the information. Some of the warnings that Yoast gives to people aren't worth worrying about imo, but it's just doing what it was programmed to do. It seems like it's good at what it does - I haven't heard any really bad things about it.

It's like any other tool in that regard, I guess. It does what it is programmed to do, but it has no sense of context.

I see the same thing with other tools, too. Sometimes folks who are new to SEO will post and ask about why Search Console is yelling at them for all the 404 errors they have. What they don't realize is that sometimes a 404 error is fine - sometimes that's exactly what you intend the page to do. Other times you might want to put a redirect in place, and so it's good to see a list of your 404s sometimes. But all the loud red text can be intimidating, so folks naturally want to get rid of as much of it as possible I think.

But yeah, stuff like article length seems like craziness to me too. And I've read some blog posts on the Yoast blog that seem a little outdated. But overall it seems alright.

Also this could be a fun discussion, so I'm going to move it to our Search Engine Optimization section where it will be a little more visible

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
  5. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I sometimes think I should stop and read all those recommendations, ha. But I mostly ignore them. While Yoast seems satisfactory, I prefer SEO Ultimate. It has a very nice code inserter that makes things easier when adding code to a page.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

All I can say is.....

Yoast is good, All-In-One is good and so is SEO Ultimate. It all boils down to, "Do You Understand its Recommendations". Most of these Plug-ins do a good job of staying updated on their end. Each has its little quirks.
    "YOU" the webmaster have to know how SEO actually works for them to be effectively used !!

Do not put a loaded gun in a child's hand. Bad things can and will happen !!

Comments on this post

• Andrew78 agrees
    • Test-ok agrees : couldn't have said it better.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Dec 29th, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
  9. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Andrew78
    Hello,

I'd like to know how much do you agree on the Yoast seo's advices it gives on WP: some of them I think are very useful, like checking the meta description and title length, but others, like the article length, I think it is craziness. So, do you really pay attention to Yoast and what do you deem as really nonsense?
    It'd be awesome if we could mindlessly us tools to rank sites... But this isn't the case. Yoast has its uses like all other tools. For example, I like it cause it makes setting meta easy.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When I am doing optimization for some keyword, I am using YOAST and there is one thing that I can't solve. If I place a banner (image )before the text, I am constantly getting :
    The focus keyword doesn't appear in the first paragraph of the copy. Make sure the topic is clear immediately.

Should this be ignored?
  13. Professional SEO

I personally don't pay attention to Yoast recommendations.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

None of them?
  17. Professional SEO

Originally Posted by femdom
    None of them?
    I am not saying that they are not valuable, but I just don't rely on them for SEO. I don't even look at them actually and find them annoying. But I have been an SEO for a long time, when you really had to learn a lot through trial and error. If you really want to learn about SEO, download Google's free SEO starter guide. GREAT info inside of that..
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I will. Actually, I did long ago and it is waiting for me on the desktop. Maybe now is the moment to finally read it.
  21. No Profile Picture

I found it useful in setting particular meta tags of particluar pages and sorting technical issues to get sorted like duplicate contents and manage duplicate contents issues
  23. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

The good plugin you can track the errors in one go but only professional's hand are required. If your work was done by an armature then you will not in save the hand.
    Last edited by Prof.stan; Feb 17th, 2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  25. Contributing User

I get the same thing even if I have LSI for the keyword in the first sentence. For example, if my focus keyword is "Austin DUI lawyer" and I put "getting stopped at a DUI checkpoint in Austin put me in need to call my attorney." If I already have "Austin DUI lawyer" in the URL and H1 I would not want that exact match in the first sentence. Instead, I use "Austin" "DUI" and "attorney" to mix it up a little and make in seem natural. Obviously, the search engines know attorney and lawyer are synonymous, also they know the content is about DUI in Austin. By delivering the text like this seems more natural.
  27. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

RankHave, I am sure you didn't read above post. Mark not sure how many times I have to report for these in a day.
  29. Contributing User

Maybe I was not clear. My response it to following exactly what Yoast recommends to get all green lights. I think instead of worrying about all green lights, think of the spirit of the recommendation. I use the LSI in the first line of text because I don't want it to appear as I am keyword stuffing but the search engine understands the subject and focus of the page.

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees : "the spirit of the recommendation" is also how I would approach tools like Yoast
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: