Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ongoing use of the Google Disavow Tool

I had a site that was injected with malware. Japanese spammers added pages in Japanese text with women's fashion keywords. We cleaned up the site, and we removed the pages. There are now 404 pages on the URLs of the added pages.

However, the hackers have pointed thousands of links from hundreds of domains at those pages and my site, even though we removed their pages. It appears that the links just keep coming in.

Is my only recourse just to stay on top of it with the Google Disavow tool? Will the links ever stop coming in?

Will Google just ignore all these fake links as noise? Is their algorithm smart enough for that?
    Last edited by dreamlife789; May 8th, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

if the links aren't or don't have anything to do with your niche or their not anchor text that your using, don't worry about it.
    In other words if you have a site that sells shoes and all these links are for bras, they won't have any impact on your target word of shoes. They also won't have any impact if they are aimed at a page that's 404.
    Last edited by Test-ok; May 9th, 2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: spelling
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    if the links aren't or don't have anything to do with your niche or their not anchor text that your using, don't worry about it.
    In other words if you have a site that sells shoes and all these links are for bras, they won't have any impact on your target word of shoes. They also won't have any impact if they are aimes at a page that's 404.
    Thanks, I feel a little better now.
  7. Contributing User

Somewhere between your modem and your browser
    I'm not sure on this one.

Are any of these pages indexed in Google search? I would first verify their status before ignoring them.

Googlebot is stupid and I had a case where 3rd party links completely killed a website. DEAD. Even after the disavow was updated with thousands of site wide domains.

LittleG
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by LittleG
    I'm not sure on this one.

Are any of these pages indexed in Google search? I would first verify their status before ignoring them.

Googlebot is stupid and I had a case where 3rd party links completely killed a website. DEAD. Even after the disavow was updated with thousands of site wide domains.

LittleG
    Hi LittleG,

It looks like this is your first post. Did you just join for the purpose of replying to this thread? What website was it of yours?
  11. Contributing User

Sorry didn't join to respond to this thread, but it was a good place to start!

Hope it helps. Sorry I don't publish my sites.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I am also not sure if ignoring would be a good idea. These are spammy backlinks and a huge amount of spammy backlinks can affect the website status. So I would really check on these links and perhaps try to remove them manually even if it is a huge work.

Disavow won't be the solution as your site is not flagged by Google yet but I will remove these links asap before Google flags my site.
  15. SEO Since 97

For the "I'm not so sure" folks
    How does a bunch of spammy back link that don't use your anchor text and that go to a page that does not exist..hurt anything?
  17. Contributing User

Who's defining the spammy classification? Because there is a distinction to be made between what Google pushes to webmasters as being classed as spam and what in fact gets detected. So for example while everyone is writing about what Google is detecting as spam and writing up wonderful posts all about "Don't forum spam" "don't write articles" "don't do three way link schemes" the reality is somewhat different. Just yesterday I was looking at a website that is sitting in position 2 on Organic with 150 back-links all of which came from....... "directories".

While a page might not exist on your server, Google might still have it in their index and frankly until it's not appearing there I would at least take a passing interest and verify the status of these pages before ignoring them. If you have a website that sells shoes and I point 50K Xrumer links with the anchor text "toothbrushes" at your website, I'd bet that it's not the anchor text that is going to cause a problem but a lot of other factors.

----> uh oh...side rant...

In fact I hope that in the future when we actually have Digital Laws as enshrined as those that we have offline in this current moment that Penguin gets classed as an illegal update, because of what it actually did to the marketplace.

"We are Google and we have so much power that we are now able to exempt ourselves from the responsibility of cleaning our indexes (and what's more even the people that are attempting to regulate us don't understand a thing about what we do either so we can pretty much do as we please) and have decided to make all links the responsibility of the webmasters."

The difference is that if someone setup shop in the real-world and started essentially bad-mouthing your business (which is literally what a bad link is doing in an offline context), you would be able to find that business owner and issue legal proceedings against them by maybe sending in a customer with a tape-recorder. By contrast Google gives webmasters Webmaster Tools and some vague promises about re-inclusion.

----> side rant...off!

If Google has de-indexed pages that it claims are affecting your link profile what should you do? Create millions of links to pages that are no longer there so Googlebot will go back to the website and find the page is not there and then disavow your link in your file? 98% advertising revenue, all the rest is just games in my book, and how many times have webmasters been flogged by the G under the auspices of quality, and how many of the biggest brands on the Internet are using loads of popups and other negative quality signals that G loves to put at the top of the indexes.

It's not nice out there, but that's business.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo agrees
  19. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    In other words if you have a site that sells shoes and all these links are for bras, they won't have any impact on your target word of shoes. They also won't have any impact if they are aimed at a page that's 404.
    To suggest it will have 'no' impact I think ignores the complexity of how Google views incoming web links. With the advent of Disavow it's now clear linking is unclear! I agree with what you've said, but the notion there can't be ANY impact I do'nt think is entirely true. In this case do your best with disavow, but ultimately fix the website and get clean links, that's where you put the bulk of your attention.
    Distinct SEO | Calgary SEO & Web Marketing Consultants ~~ Our Blog ~~ Follow @distinctseo
  21. No Profile Picture

Better to watch incoming links from time to time and put them to disavow. 404 is good but if You have 404 redirected to main page or 404 page then use disavow.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by distinctseo
    To suggest it will have 'no' impact I think ignores the complexity of how Google views incoming web links. With the advent of Disavow it's now clear linking is unclear! I agree with what you've said, but the notion there can't be ANY impact I do'nt think is entirely true. In this case do your best with disavow, but ultimately fix the website and get clean links, that's where you put the bulk of your attention.
    Test-OK was correct to start with... it will have "NO NEGATIVE IMPACT" since the domain is not related to the terms the links are anchored with.

But there is another reason that Google Reps have clearly noted "NO HARM"... links to 404 error pages are not pointing to a landing page so Google will not take auto-algorithm action nor manual action against your attempt to "not to be influenced by such tactics.

Reference: https://productforums.google.com/for...5bs/discussion
    Originally Posted by JohnMu
    Hi brujito

In general, if you remove the page that is being linked to (such as a spammy forum thread) and make sure that it returns a 404/410 HTTP response code, we'll ignore the links to those pages. If these links are primarily pointing at threads that you've removed, then there's no need to move the whole forum to a new URL. If you find that there's a significant number of problematic links that you can't remove which are linking to general parts of your forum (eg the forum homepage), moving the forum to a different URL might be a possibility (but I'd only recommend doing that if you're absolutely sure that these links are causing problems -- we're pretty good at ignoring spammy links). If you choose to move the forum, then StevieD has some good suggestions on how that could be done (make sure that your 404 page is useful to users too).

That said, I'm also still seeing a bunch of links that don't appear to be made by random pharmaceutical spammers, links that you may want to take care of, if you feel that they're problematic. In particular, I see mostly-irrelevant blog comments linking to the site (examples removed), and some appear to be fake forum profiles.

Additionally, I'd also recommend going through the questions mentioned in our blog post at Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: More guidance on building high-quality sites -- I find these questions particularly relevant on "advice"-type sites, where it's important that your users trust the content that you provide (regardless of the associated algorithm update).

My recommendation would be to continue working on resolving any issues that you may find (such as the links that you mentioned), and then, when you've made progress, document that and submit another reconsideration request detailing those changes.

Hope it helps!
    John
    Last edited by fathom; May 13th, 2014 at 12:26 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can you block the ip address of the spammers so they won't be able to dig your site and look for more internal pages they can link to. Scrape all those links they've built and submit to the disavow tool. Tough job.
  27. Contributing User

If you knew the IP and your site was on UNIX you could do this via htaccess:

Block IPs with .htaccess

Probably there is some kind of script that will do this for you automatically.

Just as a passing note good practice to lock down FTP using .ftpaccess if your host supports it:

- What is .ftpaccess? And, how it can help to secure your hosting account? | Fluid Hosting Blog

Cheers.

LittleG
  29. Contributing User

Get yourself an Antivirus Software !
    Linkbuildingoffice.com - Houston Local SEO Agency and Inbound Marketing Services
    Follow Linkbuildingoffice on Twitter - @Lbuildingoffice
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: