Thread: Old Domians

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old Domians

I'm in a highly competitive industry - carpet cleaning - and a new company recently went up in my area at the top of Google organic search for all the main search terms. I took a closer look at this domain (the new website was built in 2012) and the domain was purchased in 2012. The domain, however, is 11 years old and had been owned by 2 previous companies, neither of which were carpet cleaning companies. Furthermore, this website has virtually no SEO work done on it, no social connections, etc, etc. Yet it does have over 5million old Yahoo backlinks from previous owners of the domain name. Is this all it takes to bypass Panda and Google's algorithm; and old domain that has had prior backlinks built to it, one which laid dormant while Panda and Penguin changes and updates took place?...Can anyone help me with this, because it doesn't sound fair o me?...
  3. No Profile Picture

Old Domain Always Get More Benefit In Comparison of New Doamin.

But If You Are Doing SEO Then Its Result Gets Eqal

<snip>
    Last edited by dzine; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

weboutscoucing: Still doesn't answer my question; As I said, new website (2012) with virtually no SEO but 5million Yahoo backlinks built over the previous 11 years by three separate companies that owned the domain name at one time or another in two different continents...My website, by contrast, is over 4 years old and has been SEOd from top to bottom with 290,000+ backlinks. He is at the top of page 1 on Google organic for a highly competitive search term and I am on page two?...The answer to the puzzle to beat Panda lies, then, in old domains that have millions of links. Use one of these and you are assured to jump over everyone else organically?...If I'm wrong, someone please correct me?...
  7. SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hey Fugative
    It does not matter the website is new or how many owners it had. Old domains are really valuable in Google's eye. Older the domain better are the chances of ranking high in SERP.
    (Personally I am struggling with a domain that is approx 18 years old (was booked first time in 1995)).

You have mentioned that the domain is getting 5 million links from yahoo on domain name; I agree it violates latest Google's algo but remember yahoo is an authority site, links from such sites are precious. Your competitor is getting millions of link from authority site and so it is ranking high.
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It takes more than just links to rank, it's difficult to say with out looking at the search term and the competition.
    My website, by contrast, is over 4 years old and has been SEOd from top to bottom with 290,000+ backlinks
    Tells me it may not be your links that's the problem. I see sites all the time that rank 1,2 and 3 on many of it's terms with only a handful of links.
    As far as out ranking because of age, I don't put a lot of stock in that, some do but again I see brand new site outrank old sites all the time.

It's really hard to give you a good answer as to why without digging into the data.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Until I can see both web sites it is really tough to say the reason. But may be the ranking that the old website is getting

1. Due to few highly valuable links
    2. May be the ranking is temporary until Google judge the value of inbound links

Both are my guess.