1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Not showing on Google

Good Day,

Thank you for your assistance in advance.

I've been building online communities for 8 years and have always been playing the long game of building a website and then using social media to drive awareness before focussing on improving the Google rankings.

But I'm working on a website which isn't showing up in the SERPS at all even when going back all the way to page 30.

The website has been crawled
    site:capetowntours.net

But when searching for keyphrases (Cape Town Tours, Township Tours Cape Town, Shark Cage Diving Cape Town, etc.) the website is NOWHERE to be found.

Usually when I've built websites in the past, the rankings weren't good but at least there was a starting point which I could check and see how the website improves from month-to-month.

Any advice? Or any insights?

The website has been online for 3 months.

Thank you,
    Marvin
  3. No Profile Picture

I'm showing that google has indeed indexed your site with this query -
    site:capetowntours.net https://www.google.com/search?q=site...etowntours.net
    Also I see your site at rank 231 for query 'cape town tours'
    https://capetowntours.net/all-cape-town-tours/ Cape Town Tours | South Africa Tours and Activities in around the Cape

https://capetowntours.net/all-cape-town-tours/

Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Sep 27th, 2018 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Removed active link
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Maybe because your site is approximately 6 months old and you have a lot of stiff competition out there. You have sites like TripAdvisor to compete against. You may want to get listed with TripAdvisor.

You are on page one with Adwords, albeit the bottom of the page ads.

I suggest you look at https://www.viator.com/Cape-Town-tours/Day-Trips/d318-g5-c15 and take a lesson from them, they are banging on page one.

7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    Maybe because your site is approximately 6 months old and you have a lot of stiff competition out there. You have sites like TripAdvisor to compete against. You may want to get listed with TripAdvisor.

You are on page one with Adwords, albeit the bottom of the page ads.

I suggest you look at https://www.viator.com/Cape-Town-tou...ps/d318-g5-c15 and take a lesson from them, they are banging on page one.

Thank you for your reply

I fully get that there is stiff competition, and I'm not expecting to be in the first 10 pages of search results at the moment.

But once you hit page 15, you see results such as

which aren't optimised for Cape Town Tours (for example) at all.

I would expect to be at least somewhere even on page 20 or page 25. or page 30. But there is nothing as of yet.

I was looking for any insights regarding why this is the case.

Thank you.
    Marvin.
    Last edited by MarvinLeug; Sep 28th, 2018 at 05:39 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok, one thing you are doing wrong is your pagination. You haven't established the connection between pages correctly. Fix your pagination if you're going to go this route.

With that being said.

Personally I would lose the pagination all together and provide dedicated pages for your tours. Maybe categorize them as in day tours, water based tours, land based tours, I hope you get my point.

Edited to add...

You also need to build some links. Now before anyone jumps me for saying this...

Appropriate links, like "NoFollow" links placed on high viability sites.... Like TripAdvisor, that would get you a mention on page 1 if you do it right. Who cares if it is from them it will drive traffic which is what you want.
    Then earn some reviews on Google. Reviews are a serp mover and a CTR mover.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Sep 28th, 2018 at 07:26 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture

But I will make you feel a little better... You are listed organically Page 1 Position 4.

Whether there is any traffic for this term or not, that is a different matter, but you are listed.

Notice it is not one of your pagination pages, but a dedicated page. Take heed of this.

Search term
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Town...hrome&ie=UTF-8

13. No Profile Picture

Thank you so much for the replies, both of you.

I've taken the approach to rather create different categories from "full day tours", "half day tours" as every tour operator does this. We've gone with family friendly, adventure, sport, outdoor etc.

If I change my IP to USA or UK, I can see we are now ranked on page 29. At least I have a starting point to keep track of the improvements now.

Also we're on page 1 - 2 for Township Night Tours Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope Helicopter Tours and on page 10 for Cape Town Big 5 Safari. I know these do not drive any traffic at the moment, but seeing that I've spend most of my efforts on social media that is okay. Things can only improve.

Now it's time to get started on building links the right way.

Thank you!
  15. No Profile Picture

Your site is too young to see its level. You need to work on his progress and you will see the position in 2-3 months. Growth will be inconvenient because your niche is highly competitive. I recommend you get started on low-frequency keywords. It will bring more results immediately.