1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Noindex checkout pages

Noticed that some pages in our checkout journey e.g. basket, checkout, customise your basket - are set to index.

I was under the impression that these sorts of pages should be noindex since there'd be no reason you'd want a customer to find these pages in a SERP. However I checked what our competitors do and they seem to have these sorts of pages indexed as well.

Is this an oversight on their part or am I missing some value in making these pages indexed?
  3. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by samthomas
    Noticed that some pages in our checkout journey e.g. basket, checkout, customise your basket - are set to index.

I was under the impression that these sorts of pages should be noindex since there'd be no reason you'd want a customer to find these pages in a SERP. However I checked what our competitors do and they seem to have these sorts of pages indexed as well.

Is this an oversight on their part or am I missing some value in making these pages indexed?
    Yes, I believe it is an oversight. Generally, not everything your competitors do is correct, if they have a more established brand, they can get away with a lot of bad SEO practices and still outrank you.

Always do the right thing by putting yourself in Google's shoe and customer shoe.

Google doesn't fill out the checkout forms so if you allow them to index your checkout pages, that means that google will index empty pages which can be bad for SEO and if they somehow show in search results, they will cause poor user exeprience so YES, go ahead and noindex and nofollow them.
    Enterprise SEO Consultant at Sefati & Company
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Google doesn't fill out the checkout forms so if you allow them to index your checkout pages, that means that google will index empty pages which can be bad for SEO and if they somehow show in search results, they will cause poor user exeprience so YES, go ahead and noindex and nofollow them.