Thread: Newsjacking

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Newsjacking

White or Black Hat?
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Probably blackhat and you could run into legal issues if I understand correctly.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Agree on the legal issues as pointed out by Josh.

But, isn't this just a variation of content curation?
  7. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I disagree that it's necessarily "black-hat," in the ethical sense. It certainly does not seem "black-hat" to me from the SEO point of view. I am fascinated by the concept of newsjacking and, from the way it's described, I can think of plenty of legitimate and indeed ethical uses of this tactic.

See this for relevant info:
    Newsjacking: Real-Time Linkbaiting
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I agree with Phillip here.

I think ultimately this boils down to what's the unique value in the content you're going to offer. If there's a developing news story and it happens to involve something a site owner/webmaster is particularly knowledgeable about, then filling a content void in a timely manner genuinely offers something of value to other sites. In those cases, a link back to the site is a well-deserved reward.

However, if the content pushed out is low-quality, factually inaccurate or the webmaster knows little about the topic, then it's pretty clear it's being done solely for the links and its spammy. I think it's going to be real time-consuming to be monitoring the news 24-7 just to find topics to generate low quality content about, so it doesn't seem like something you could scale out that much, even if you wanted to.

But if a breaking news-story is in your niche and content wheel-house, I think the timing is a moot point. Every topic has a certain "peak" demand for info on it and lifecycles for topics vary. When you publish your content doesn't seem to me to be an ethical issue - the accuracy and quality of the content does, however.

Comments on this post

• PhilipSEO agrees : good points

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo