1. No Profile Picture

Question Newbie to SEO - Duplicate Content Question...

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of setting up my first business and along with that comes the website. I've read a lot of articles about duplicate content and split domains causing problems with SEO and have tidied most things up, but I haven't been able to find and answer to one specific question I have.

Here's an example scenario, its hot here today, so I've used plant watering as an example, the service and domains are all fiction. The main site has a menu that has a link to all the services on offer including a plant watering service which appears in one of the menu links:

Main Page of Web Site + General Information
    Menu Item 1 - Plant Watering
    Menu Item 2 - Etc.
    Menu Item 3 - Etc.

The plant watering menu item goes to a page and in the body text about the service it lists the areas we cover, but the title <h>'s don't have the location in. The menu is also on this page so you can navigate through the site:

Plant Watering Page + General Information and all areas covered
    Menu Item 1 - Plant Watering
    Menu Item 2 - Etc.
    Menu Item 3 - Etc.

My question is about location specific landing pages. f I own a location specific domain like plant watering blackpool dot com (made up domain, and it doesn't exist), and I buy the domain and point it to a duplicate Plant Watering Page that has exactly the same content as the original Plant Watering Page, but the heading and maybe the text is a little bit more location specific like this:

Plant Watering Page Blackpool + Duplicate General Information and Blackpool covered
    Menu Item 1 - Plant Watering (would go back to Plant Watering Page + General Information and all areas covered)
    Menu Item 2 - Etc.
    Menu Item 3 - Etc.

Would this have a positive affect on SEO because of the location specific titles and page, or a negative effect because of the duplicate content on the pages?

I hope this makes sense, and please be kind to the newbie

Thanks,

AM
  3. No Profile Picture

In case anyone wondered, I was going to use 301 redirects from the domain to the page. Further searching brought back this page:

Duplicate content question

Which is similar to my question, but I'm still not sure as 90% of the page would be duplicate.
  5. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If there is no competition at all you may still see some SEO benefits.
    Else I would never do that. It is spamming IMHO and we can agree google would NOT be eager to award spam.
    Last edited by NewDelhiSEO; Jul 14th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  7. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If I understand you right...sounds like you have a site and want to cover locations by using a different url and 301 it to the main url?
    If so, there's no need to do it that way, make your main url about plant watering then make your sub pages about plant watering...location 1, plant watering location 2 and so on. You also need to have different information on the different pages.
    unless I've understood your question wrong.