1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

newbie & confused

Hello to everyone... and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me

As my post indicates.... I'm new to the whole SEO thing so it's been sort of a painful process of figuring out everything (love the site by the way).

Anyway... I made a page for a friend of mine (http://www.superiorchimney.net) and tried my best to optimize it for him, my primary keywords are "chicago chimney sweep". I registered his site with about 300 different directories and crawlers and then waited a couple of weeks.

Eventually I noticed he was getting referal visists from yahoo. I went and did a search on yahoo on "chicago chimney sweep" and lo and behold my friends site was listed 10th on the first page.

Now the problem is, I told him his site was listed 10th, and he went to go look and it was gone. Now I've done a little reading here and figured out the different data centers can spit out different listings on searches. I've seen his site get listed at the 10th spot then eventually dissapear again.

I guess my question is, the longer his sites up there, will his site eventually get listed as the 10th spot between all the different data centers? If not, what can I do to try and make yahoo (or any other search engine for that fact) synchronize the ranking.

Any help anyone can offer will be greately appreciated.... thanks
  3. <-- No I am not Kermit
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

First, welcome to SEOChat!

Second, regarding the Yahoo rank flux, I would expect that. Trying to convice Y or any others to syncronize the DC's, well, good luck.

What I would do is also check the rank in MSN. Being that it's a new site, you may be in G's sandbox, but it won't hurt to check there too.

Work on maintaining fresh content and gathering good quality (from related/associated pages) BL's. This should help the site climb in Yahoo, MSN, and (once out of the sandbox) Google.

Originally Posted by ktyson
    Hello to everyone... and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me

As my post indicates.... I'm new to the whole SEO thing so it's been sort of a painful process of figuring out everything (love the site by the way).

Anyway... I made a page for a friend of mine (http://www.superiorchimney.net) and tried my best to optimize it for him, my primary keywords are "chicago chimney sweep". I registered his site with about 300 different directories and crawlers and then waited a couple of weeks.

Eventually I noticed he was getting referal visists from yahoo. I went and did a search on yahoo on "chicago chimney sweep" and lo and behold my friends site was listed 10th on the first page.

Now the problem is, I told him his site was listed 10th, and he went to go look and it was gone. Now I've done a little reading here and figured out the different data centers can spit out different listings on searches. I've seen his site get listed at the 10th spot then eventually dissapear again.

I guess my question is, the longer his sites up there, will his site eventually get listed as the 10th spot between all the different data centers? If not, what can I do to try and make yahoo (or any other search engine for that fact) synchronize the ranking.

Any help anyone can offer will be greately appreciated.... thanks
    SEO Tips

SEO Consulting $50/hr - IM me for details *** PayPal available
  5. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

It's pretty common for Yahoo to lose new sites completely for weeks at a time. Not to worry, they always come back to the original positions and eventually stay there.

Welcome to the forum and the wierd world of SEO.
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for the tips!!!

Now one more stupid newbie question... whats a good free tool to check rankings with? I spent the $25 to get acebit Ranking Tool and the Hello!Engines utilities when I signed my friend up with 1and1.com... And from what I'm seeing of these utilities I hate them... the ranking tool is useless unless I'm seriously doing something wrong with it.

I mean I'll go to the quickie tools to check my ranking and it says my friends site is listed #1 under half a dozen sites but when I go to the sites to see, the site is no where to be seen.... then there have been times It's not seen him ranked at all... I hate this psychotic little tool

I probably really hate these utilities because after I saw he was in the top ten of yahoo for his keywords, I ran a rank report with Ranking Tool and it said he was listed #1 on half a dozen different search engines.... I got all excited about this and told him how well he was ranked...

I was at his business when he went to go look and I came off like a major jerk off because those search engines didn't come back with him listed at all.... I really felt like an a-hole sitting there trying to come up with a reason why this utility would say he was #1 when he wasn't....

But any more tips you could offer on the subject would be greately appreciated... thanks

Originally Posted by FogHorn
    It's pretty common for Yahoo to lose new sites completely for weeks at a time. Not to worry, they always come back to the original positions and eventually stay there.

Welcome to the forum and the wierd world of SEO.