1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New to SEO and I'm confused please help

Hi,

New to the forums and SEO and I have a few questions.

I've recently launched my business on line, I've spent some money and a fair amount of my time getting the website up and running and now need to focus my attention on SEO.

I have currently read 3 books on SEO, the reason I have read 3 book is the second one I read completely contradicted the first but number 3 seems to make some sense.

From what I understand a lot of SEO is to do with backlinks and more importantly backlinks from "authority websites", how on earth do I find out what an authority website is for my busineess? Does that mean a link form a site that is specific to what I do or is it just a link from a site with a higher page rank than mine?

I've looked at my completion and most of them seem to have backlinks from directory listing websites, the number one competition on google for me has something like 15000 backlinks and from what I can tell most of them are from directory websites, from what I understand google should penalise this sort of thing but that doesn't seem to be the case, could someone clarify that for me?

Should I be building backlinks myself or should I be using software to help me with this and if so what software is a good recommendation.

I hope that all makes sense?

Comments on this post

• djake224 agrees : my addvice is that " u should foucused on bookmarking and blogposting in diffrent kind of community sides and also buid link with ur all social link on net . i can understand that is not enught but it works iether this process is slow .
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would like to suggest you that try to get one way backlinks from high pr sites. And do quality based work not quantity.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Eezo
    Should I be building backlinks myself or should I be using software to help me with this and if so what software is a good recommendation.
    In a word - No to both.

Read all the stickies on this forum, link building should be organic by visitors telling everyone else about your content thus creating back-links. SEO books will contradict because some of them are based on old out-dated information which worked many years ago and the authors don't know any better. The stickies on this web-site are worth more than any book, but you must read through them all as there are discussions (sometimes heated) which will help you to get a handle on the whole thing.

Take your time, don't jump at the first thing you read.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Founder, SEOChat.com :)
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Hi Eezo,

Welcome. I'm surprised you read 3 books and they mentioned authoritative sites, yet failed to explain how to find them.

Directories... With my white-hat (obedient slave) hat on, I will tell you that they are bad. When I take that hat off and look at the raw data and think for myself, I will tell you that I see them working quite well for many competitors I have in many markets and verticals.

Automated programs... Don't use them. Do it manually. The human variance factor is key.

Authoritative/trusted sites... Use your instincts. Who ranks top 50 for your keywords? Which sites seem most trustworthy?
  9. No Profile Picture

Authority sites are sites with a PageRank (PR). As for tons of links, it really depends on the site we're talking about. You see, a site like Wikipedia or Youtube can handle thousands of links per day without getting penalized, because they're extremely popular and Google knows that (getting shares through social networks and so forth). But when a virtually unknown site gets 1000's of links each day, it's only a matter of time before it is flagged and penalized.

I'd say learn all you can about on-page SEO before jumping on the link building bandwagon yourself.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Eezo
    Hi,I have currently read 3 books on SEO, the reason I have read 3 book is the second one I read completely contradicted the first but number 3 seems to make some sense.
    Those books are probably already out of date.

From what I understand a lot of SEO is to do with backlinks and more importantly backlinks from "authority websites", how on earth do I find out what an authority website is for my busineess? Does that mean a link form a site that is specific to what I do or is it just a link from a site with a higher page rank than mine?
    Backlinks are a key driver for SEO; however, onpage SEO and original content is still very much important.

That's what makes a good SEO, being able to think outside the book to find links. Look at competition, resources, directory lists, etc. Anything you can do to discover more sites in your niche willing to link.

I've looked at my completion and most of them seem to have backlinks from directory listing websites, the number one competition on google for me has something like 15000 backlinks and from what I can tell most of them are from directory websites, from what I understand google should penalise this sort of thing but that doesn't seem to be the case, could someone clarify that for me?
    Don't worry about low quality links. If it's a directory link, it's near worthless. 1 decent link can overpower 1000 crappy/low quality links.

I avoid all software. I look manually, request manually and update manually. The only software I use is Excel, to track my links and contacts.

Comments on this post

• Shobhit Saxena agrees : Other than excel you can also use SEO Quake toolbar and nodofollow addon :-). They will make your work much easier.
    • jsteele823 agrees
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

1. Depends on what kind of books you read, when they were publishsed(in case they are outdated or not), who the authors are etc.
    2. SEO is about onsite optimization and off-site optimization (see link building)
    3. For your competition, it depends on what kind of backlinks they have.
    4. You should spot the sites (that actually offer high quality backlinks) and implement it for your website. Additionally you need to carry out your own research to find sites, that your competitors don't have.
    Best of luck.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by joshz
    Don't worry about low quality links. If it's a directory link, it's near worthless. 1 decent link can overpower 1000 crappy/low quality links.
    Technically this is true but on the other hand directories like Yellow Pages/Google Places often rank highly so although the "link juice" may not be much the visitors these well established directories bring in are important and can be significant (in numbers).

However - and as joshz has said - before you go anywhere make sure your on-page SEO is as polished as it can be.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  17. No Profile Picture

I have checked out my finish and a large portion of them appear to have backlinks from catalogue posting online sites. The most obvious rivalry on google for me has something like 4000-5000 backlinks and from what I can tell a large portion of them are from catalogue online sites.
  19. No Profile Picture

Its good that you have started a new website for your business.
    First, the authority websites issue- Let me clear you one thing that backlinks from authority sites like .org, .edu, .gov is not a piece of cake. You will only get backlinks from such sites when you have something to show or give which they don't have or either you can provide a source/ medium which help their content.

Now about your competition- I would suggest don't get too much involved in your competition, may be they have the same niche. But, the site is different.

Directory submission or Tools- Directory submission is good but through tool its not. Don't use tools they will harm you in future.

Why don't you just hire someone for your SEO work.?
  21. No Profile Picture

Its good that you have started a new website for your business.
    First, the authority websites issue- Let me clear you one thing that backlinks from authority sites like .org, .edu, .gov is not a piece of cake. You will only get backlinks from such sites when you have something to show or give which they don't have or either you can provide a source/ medium which help their content.

Now about your competition- I would suggest don't get too much involved in your competition, may be they have the same niche. But, the site is different.

Directory submission or Tools- Directory submission is good but through tool its not. Don't use tools they will harm you in future.

Why don't you just hire someone for your SEO work.?
  23. No Profile Picture

No need to worry initially about SEO just search high PR and alexa sites and post there some valuable post and connect it with your social media sites.