1. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

New Page Indexed but Cache is old page

We keep running into a problem and am not quite sure how to resolve it. We create reports that update several times a week. After posting the reports in our blog, within hours, the new report is indexed and found. If you do a search for the title, the article shows up, but its the older report.

We title our reports "Title" - Date of the report. We are trying to keep the title intact while just changing the date to show that a more current report is available.

Should we start varying our titles in order to get the more recent report to show up? How can we work with the same title but get the most current report to show in the index? We are generally ranking well for the titles we have and don't want to lose any ground but at the same time, we want our most current report to show in the search engines.

All help and advice is appreciated.
  3. hctibselgoogtonmai
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Assuming it's all updated on the fly, why not just display the current report on the "main reports page" and page through older reports from there?

Sorry if I'm missing it.
    My Favorite Tools: Web CEO - Ranking Reports, Keyword Research, Link Analysis | Hosting.com - U.S. Windows Hosting | ISAPI Rewrite - Rewrite & Redirect for Windows
  5. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Question

Valid point. You didnt miss anything Fog. Some visitors like to see the trends and compare to the older reports. I'm not 100% sure why but we've received feedback that they do.

I suppose we could archive the older reports and link to them from within the newest report or we could create a "Current Reports" page and an "Older Reports" page.

We have a main reports page on the main part of the site. This has a snippet of each report which leads to the full report on our blog. The main reports page happens to rank fairly well along with random posts from the blog. It just seems that the reports get picked up quickly but don't see the rank and the older reports remain which has us puzzled.

We'll definitely look into just displaying the most current report while archiving the older. Thanks!