1. Rebel Without a Clue
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

New and Old Sitemaps

The launch of our revamped website is now imminent and we're now dotting the i's and the t's ready for swapping it over. Anyway, as this side of SEO is all new territory for me I'd really appreciate your feedback on this, to make sure there are no steps we're missing.

We have changed a number of urls throughout our site, meaning that some of the urls on the old site will no longer exist. We're already tackling this with 301 redirects for those that are linked to externally but do we have to do similar for the others, even though they don't have any external pages linking to them and will actually disappear once the new site is launched? Or does Google somehow keep a list of old urls and look for a corresponding page?

Will it suffice to create a new sitemap for the new site or do we have to list all the old urls and enter new replacements?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks for replying :-)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

The new sitemap will do the job. As Google starts to index your new sitemap links your old links will fall off their index. This dropping off could take a while (1-3 months). The 301's are just for the precious backlinks and the PR they carry. Go over them a lot, because if you have a high PR site linking in to a page that is 404'd, their link juice won't flow to your site properly and that is not good. But when done fully...... it all works awesome! The sitemap.xml, robots.txt, and .htaccess are your keys to this successful transition. Manually update/submit the sitemap in the Google Webmaster Tools the moment your transition over.

Comments on this post

• YoFluffy agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If a page is going to no longer exist and it doesn't have any internal or external links pointing at it. Then you could potentially just let it die. However, I would check your web traffic first to see if the pages are getting any organic traffic, if so then you should redirect to the next most relevant page to sustain a pleasant user experience.

As for the sitemaps, yes I would recommend building a new site map that includes the new URLs. You can take out the old ones, but the new ones are vital.

Comments on this post

• YoFluffy agrees
    Statements made by me in these forums do not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my employer.
  7. Rebel Without a Clue
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks guys. I did wonder whether Google would for some reason cache old links and then penalise us when they could no longer find them. Does this mean that once a new sitemap is in place, Google will ignore links that aren't on there and have no link to them externally?