Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. blog.brightonvibes.com
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Exclamation New Google Search: Google Suggest

Seems google have got a larger set of monkies working for them since they went public as they keep releasing new tools and features!
    Anywho, the newest one I found today as I just randomly swung by Google Labs:

GOOGLE SUGGEST

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

I would love to know what other searchers think of this new search idea. I get lots of organic number one positions in google and this will help me in deciding on new keywords and speeding up searches etc etc.

Its such a simple bloody idea but its the first time I have seen it in a webpage. Amazing!

here are some more links that will prove of interest:
    http://labs.google.com/suggest/faq.html

and for both breaking news and obscure information alike, people around the world search on Google at www.google.com. With a bit of analysis, this flurry of searches often exposes interesting trends, patterns, and surprises. The Google Zeitgeist page is regularly updated to reflect lists, graphs, and other tidbits of information related to Google user search behavior.

http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html

The recent things they have brung out have been "oh, thats quite cool but its just different data". This is the first thing that has made me go "WOW THATS COOL" out loud in the office for a long time.

5 gold stars on your homework google! (Ok arrows as no stars around) You have amazed me again.

P.s Appologise if someone already posted this before me.
    Also, why wont it save with a bloody clickable link! grrr
    Last edited by sunnymonkey; Dec 10th, 2004 at 08:10 AM.
  3. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Agree on the coolness. About to check it out "in-depth".

P.S.: I don't recall reading about this (here) before, so congrats and thanks for the heads-up!
    ...please help me w/ the real Redscowl Bluesingsky...how2 check backlinks...now postin' @ SEO Refugee ...
    <`)~ LOL now that I finally have a paypal account, I'm charging 19,- for SEO advice via PM. Seriously...
  5. blog.brightonvibes.com

No worries

I have been doing SEO for a good few years now, and am here every day. This is the first thing that made me want to get an account going and tell people the good news!

Main reason I dont post is because I dont want people pinching me ideas for optimisation etc LOL
    Yes the optimisation etc that I do is white hat stuff, but its working great and I have never seen it done anywhere else so am simply protecting my research for now, the ole competitive advantage etc.

Also doing some very interesting research into email addresses and their relation to backlinks and results at the moment that is proving to be quite an eye opener for googles Algo

I may share this information so as to get more results, but for now... "mums the word!"

Glad you like the new search from google though, its not often I get excited about new engines etc. Such as the recent launch with mr clinton of http://www.accoona.com/ not very exciting, but does have lots of potential. The biggest problem I have with all these new engines, such as accoona, msn, etc is that they ideas are GREAT but the results are slack. But time will tell. Google will not be leaving the throne yet.

TTFN
    Dave
    Last edited by sunnymonkey; Dec 10th, 2004 at 06:02 AM.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Damn sunnymonkey you beat me to the punch!!! I was just about to post after I wiped the drool off my keyboard.

That is a freaking amazing idea. Thats the fastest clustering implementation I have yet seen! Much better than having to keep redefining the search.
    -PK
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I was playing around with this a little while ago. I like it. It's seems like a perfect, easy to use tool for key word suggestions. It even tells you the number of indexed pages for each phrase.

I'm going to keep playing with it this afternoon. It's seems amazingly fast for the amount of data needed for something like this.
  11. No Profile Picture

It will be interesting to see what this does to the SEO business. I don't know if this is the best example, but say I have my sight optimized for "Widgets" and I'm the number 1 result. If you type "Wi" into google suggest, it tries to point you to "Widget Manufacturers" for which I'm on page 5. Will users be more apt to search for what google suggests, or not? I guess if google is suggesting "Widget Manufacturers" over just "Widgets", it is because that term is more popular, and I should be targeting it anyway. (Note: this is just an example, I don't know what really happens if you type search for "Wi")

I know there are two very similar search terms, one of which I rank very highly for, and one of which I don't. I think the more natrual search term is the one I rank better in, but if people were to see google suggesting the other term, they may use that instead.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It will be interesting to see what this does to the SEO business.

I agree. I was just pondering over this myself. I would tend to lead towards it making a big difference in what people search for. As an SEO professional, I would definatly take this into account when optimizing for a phrase.

My first thought was to look at the Google Adsense Keyword tool to see how the suggestions matched up:

Top 10 in Adsense for widget:

widget
    calendar widget
    widget works
    tree widget
    tk widget
    standard widget toolkit
    widget techie
    widget supply
    gtk widget
    qt widget
    what is a widget

Top 10 in Suggest for widget:

widget
    widgets
    widget the world watcher
    widget software
    widget gallery
    widget world
    widget supply
    widget definition
    widget workshop
    widget for windows
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Talking

Is this accessable with the search web service?
  17. unused title

i love it, its a great idea for those of us that search for obscure items (solutions to scripting problems.. etc...), knowing that there is a result for something before even searching saves a hell of a lot of time.

Theyd be mad not to launch this on the standard google search as soon as theyve finished testing.
  19. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Originally Posted by uberdose
    Is this accessable with the search web service?
    Oh yeah, just add
    Code:
    <input type="hidden" name="complete" value="1"></input>
    Don't know if it's particularly useful for site searches though, but if you have a great idea for that, please share...
  21. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    One thing a bit strange, when I start inputting our most important keyword phrase (financial analysis) at one point it starts providing all the misspellings (e.g. anaylsis) and number of accesses of the suggested misspelled terms. Once past the misspellings, it does not then offer anything with the proper spelling or their number of accesses.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

nice...

Very good feature! I'm glad that Google is working in the wright way. Its intresting when another SE's will copy that...
  25. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

SEO_AM. Could it be it's still handwork, and that - in this case - the googly working the buttons misspelled "analysis"? Long shot - I know - but that is some very strange behaviour...
  27. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Wit... that can be about the only thing. Totally weird.
  29. L8r

This is interesting....to say the least

Nice find
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: