1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New World To Domains

Hey, My question is.. the new extension that is coming out which is .cm, will it be successful and become high in value or is it one of those extensions that just are for sale to make extra money for the registrars. I saw that .cm is good because of .com and mistyping the o can lead you to the website owned by .cm. The thing is.. the price for .cm is too much and I am not sure if its worth buying .cm for $800. Please tell me if its worth buying premium names for $800. Is this a good investment, and do you think this extension will become popular or close to .com? Also, say i buy a popular niched KW, and its a TLD with one word. Will this help me improve the rank in search engines when searching for this niche? Thanks and all answers are appreciated.
    Last edited by ep062890; Sep 30th, 2007 at 06:56 PM.
  3. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The only reason why it would be worth more than .tk .cz or .hu is the missspelling. For optimisation there is no difference. So think about if you want to spend 800$ for these few type-ins or rather put it in a PPC campaign.
  5. No Profile Picture

thats what I'm planning on doing, but is it worth $800 in the long run? Do you think premium names with .cm will be worth a lot later on?
  7. Customized?

Honestly, no.
    If you check domain selling portals the most is spend for CNOBI and some country specific domains but hardly ever for exotic endings.
    Of course if you can get a top keyword you might be able to sell the domain later on for much more but I as an potential buyer would rather take some .com not keyword domain because a) .cm will probably not very popular, b) you want to make some money with it so the price is high and c) 800$/y is quiet a lot for a domain
  9. No Profile Picture

I would have to disagree with some of your opinions. A. you never know if it will be popular or not, and B. for now it cost $800, but later when this extension gets put into many popular registrars like godaddy and network solutions, it wont cost this much.. It will most likely cost $40 or maybe a little more.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think that for Google optimization aspects (the subject of this forum) it is a total waste of money.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Yep - it's not really specific to Google... So I moved the thread :)
  13. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by ep062890
    Hey, My question is.. the new extension that is coming out which is .cm, will it be successful and become high in value or is it one of those extensions that just are for sale to make extra money for the registrars.
    It's the country-specific tld for Cameroon.

I saw that .cm is good because of .com and mistyping the o can lead you to the website owned by .cm.
    The thing is.. the price for .cm is too much and I am not sure if its worth buying .cm for $800. Please tell me if its worth buying premium names for $800.
    Kevin Ham is making lots of money from it! Search Google for "The man who owns the internet" (including quotes) and you'll get more info'.

Is this a good investment, and do you think this extension will become popular or close to .com?
    No it won't... it's a country-specific tld so will never be as "popular" as .com

Also, say i buy a popular niched KW, and its a TLD with one word. Will this help me improve the rank in search engines when searching for this niche? Thanks and all answers are appreciated.
    It may have a small advantage but it's real value is most likely to be in type-in typos!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  15. Customized?

Now I visited my first .cm site.
    They grabbed gmail.cm google.cm the site is perfspot.com so maybe they get some decent traffic until google comes.
    But if the domains are worth something... I don't know.