1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Need help with first SEO campaign for business.

I need some solid advice about SEO advertising for our business.

We have been in business sense 2007 and we just recently completed our website Saltwaterconnectionsllc.com. Needless to say its flash based and SEO was completely disregarded in its design. At present we are in the process of building a new word press website that will hopefully be more SEO appropriate.

We would like to have our website rank on google in the top 3 position for 6 seed keyword search terms.

These phrases are.

custom aquarium(s)
    acrylic aquarium(s)
    custom fish tank(s)
    (custom) aquarium manufacture (s)
    aquarium(s) for sale
    fish tanks for sale

Here are my questions.

1) Simply put how do we go about accomplishing this.

2) How important is a websites age in determining its organic ranking on google? Can we purchase an aged domain name that has already been established in googles indexing? Considering our competition how important is it to have a domain name that is older?

3) We have contacted several SEO companies about setting up a campaign. Is this a service we should be considering? We are hesitant about spending thousands of dollars and not seeing a return on our investment. What type of questions should we be asking this SEO companies to ensure they will deliver on their promises? How much should we anticipate on budgeting per month for an SEO campaign? Can someone recommend an SEO company?

4) If we choose to change the domain name, should be look for a domain that has one of our seed keywords in it?

5) I have been informed that googles 1st organic ranking, for the phrase custom aquariums has roughly 8000 inbound links from around 1000 referring domains. Most of these inbound links appear to be from a poorly done SEO job. Realistically how long would it take to out rank them with a well designed SEO campaign?

Thank you for your help and any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Needless to say its flash based and SEO was completely disregarded in its design.
    So ya screwed up getting out of the gate?

1. Simply is the wrong word to use.
    2.The age isn't going to make any difference, If you have a lot of back links going to your site I would keep the url and have it redone in WP or some other standard platform.
    3. Yes consider it, make sure you get a person who knows what their doing, check the members here that have contributed good information which are listed by reputation, they know what their talking about.
    4. I would.
    5. Hard to tell without analyzing the whole picture...but figure on 3 to 4 months as a start.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Dec 18th, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
  5. No Profile Picture

Do you have any SEO company recommendations? Do you think we are better off dealing with an individual for SEO services over a company?
  7. SEO Since 97

I know individuals that blow companies out of the water, you'll find them in that list. Check credentials by looking at what they've done.
    And yes I'd recommend most anyone on top of that list. (some on that list don't do seo but for themselves)

Also checked your site to see how many pages google has indexed, using the site:Saltwaterconnectionsllc.com and you can see what it shows, I would suggest getting the site moved to a new platform and have it optimized at the same time. Then work on links.
    Send me an email and I'd be glad to elaborate and run a few reports on it.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

We are hesitant about spending thousands of dollars and not seeing a return on our investment
    A good SEO should make you much more money than you spend. The trouble is finding one that you trust and can work with and who knows how to succeed in your niche.

Here are a few things to ask about:
    -References - can they refer clients to you to give evidence of the quality of their work?
    -How are they building backlinks? If they can't tell you then run away. If they are using primarily article spinning, blog comments, forum sigs and bookmarks then this is not a good sign.
    -How well do they know your subject matter? These days a good SEO has got to be able to create content and build relationships within your niche.
    -Do they do all of their link building in house or do they outsource or use automated methods? Many low quality SEOs will hire cheap Indian linkbuilders or run automated software to create cheap quick links. These used to work in the past but can get you penalized now.

Can we purchase an aged domain name that has already been established in googles indexing?
    Yes and no, but mostly no. The age of the domain doesn't really matter. If you can find an existing domain that already has good backlinks that also fits your subject matter then this can be helpful but that would be difficult to do. I would choose a domain name that you like and that is easy to remember and easy to spell. A keyword in the domain is not a bad thing but not as helpful as it used to be. The first site that I see ranking for "custom acquariums" doesn't have a keyword in its name at all.

How much should we anticipate on budgeting per month for an SEO campaign?
    This is tough to answer, but on a quick look you've got a lot of competition. How much you want to spend depends on how quickly you want to rank. For a niche like this you would likely spend at least $1000 per month if not much more for a good SEO. If you want to rank quickly then you might need to spend multiples of that. There are other decent SEOs that could rank your site for less money but take longer to do it. It all depends on the amount of time that they can dedicate to your site.

googles 1st organic ranking, for the phrase custom aquariums has roughly 8000 inbound links from around 1000 referring domains. Most of these inbound links appear to be from a poorly done SEO job. Realistically how long would it take to out rank them with a well designed SEO campaign?
    The site that I see at #1 has a large number of backlinks. They're not exactly natural but it's not the type of link profile that is likely to be dinged by the Penguin algorithm at Penguin's current level of sophistication. In other words, they're not likely to disappear and, yes, it will take a lot of work to overtake them.
  11. No Profile Picture

Dr. Marie,

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions. Do you offer an SEO service or can you make a recommendation for a specific company?

Is an SEO campaign our best option for getting our website to appear on top of google's organic ranking for specific keywords.

Or would we be better to build a well designed website, have it internally organized for SEO, then let links build naturally?

Imcsites.com did the SEO work for Livingcolor the company listed in the #1 google position for "Custom Aquariums". Should we consider their service?
  13. SEO Since 97

Thanks for the PM, Aquariums...Kernel Panic would be my choice from the list you sent.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    A good SEO should make you much more money than you spend.
    Here you have gotten advice from a person who knows an awful lot about pets and the people who own them. Also a person who has fantastic success in the pet care niche.

Google this....

dr marie + pet advice
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  17. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Why don't you send me an email at marie[at]hiswebmarketing[dot].com and we can discuss whether we would be a good fit to work together. On the other hand, KP is a greatly respected SEO with lots of experience so if he will take you on that's a good option too.
  19. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

1) Simply put how do we go about accomplishing this.
    There are many aspects and it is not a simple process but the real time honored fundamentals are
    - Do keyword research
    - Generate useful quality content associated to your keywords
    - Build a good web site with a good indexable structure that is usable
    - Tell the world about your site so that you start getting links to your great content on your excellent web site.
    - Then SEO becomes a process and you keep making improvements based on analysis and experience.

2) How important is a websites age in determining its organic ranking on google? Can we purchase an aged domain name that has already been established in googles indexing? Considering our competition how important is it to have a domain name that is older?
    Very important. Yes you can - but its not as simple as that. Its also not something I would generally advise unless there are very specific reasons for doing so.

3) We have contacted several SEO companies about setting up a campaign. Is this a service we should be considering? We are hesitant about spending thousands of dollars and not seeing a return on our investment. What type of questions should we be asking this SEO companies to ensure they will deliver on their promises? How much should we anticipate on budgeting per month for an SEO campaign? Can someone recommend an SEO company?
    This forum has a lot of information about what questions to ask an SEO company, and you should quiz them before engaging with them in a contract. Some companies and individuals will work without a contract or on a retainer. Don't get locked in! Also, make sure you own the results (this is a question to ask - who owns the results pages) as sometimes when you stop paying the ranking page drops because it wasn't really your page ranking.
    Budget is a how long is a piece of string type question - it depends on a lot of specifics.
    Be very cautious when you hire an SEO company or consultant - unfortunately it is an industry dogged with people who claim to know it and they really don't. Best piece of advise is - if you here them say "optimize your meta tags" - RUN!

4) If we choose to change the domain name, should be look for a domain that has one of our seed keywords in it?
    This is not nearly as important as many make out. A readable, short and brandable domain name is a better compromise. Tour existing site will have some weight and relevance to your business and niche, I would not advise changing it. It is also possible to make an SEO friendly web site work in conjunction with your flash site and or optimize your flash site for SEO (it is possible).

5) I have been informed that googles 1st organic ranking, for the phrase custom aquariums has roughly 8000 inbound links from around 1000 referring domains. Most of these inbound links appear to be from a poorly done SEO job. Realistically how long would it take to out rank them with a well designed SEO campaign?
    Very difficult to answer without comparing back link profiles, but this initial information is useful and tells you a lot. All links are not created equal. 1 really good well targeted link can beat 1000 poorly chosen links.

I think you need an analysis of your situation and some consultancy before you make a decision on which option to chose.

It is actually very common for SEO to be an afterthought. Making the right decisions now will save you a lot of time, money and pain!
  21. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Also, one other thing I forgot to mention, you could consider going the sponsored search - PPC (Pay Per Click) route. You can get reasonable ROI and good conversions with a well tailored campaign, and this information is useful for putting into effect on an organic search campaign too - you just get the data much quicker.