1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Need help/advice - huge loss of traffic

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me here - I entrusted my website to an SEO company. They seem to have caused some serious issues.

We have set up an new domain and made some style changes to website cleaned up some meta data etc.

However:

A) They allowed there development version of the site go live and be indexed by google (i am sure this has caused duplicate content issues
    B) It looks like my old domain is still being crawled by google and getting impressions - yet i cant find it in google search it only seems to show the old URL under google maps.
    C) Google is no longer indexing our main keywords and impressions of them have fallen off completely now -100.

So effectively we have had 3 versions of the site live all using the same analytics code, content, images etc.

What type of issues is this likely to cause - and is there a way to reverse the affects or are we talking months/years before we see traffic return for these keywords??

also does the below code redirect all possible links from the site? or do i need to change it for non-canonical links (this is the re-direct the SEO company placed in the .htaccess file)

Any help or advice on what to do here would be great!!

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /mydomain/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Hold on!

You set up a new site - do you mean you also set up a new domain and that is why you want to redirect all traffic?

If you have three websites with the same analytics code how can you tell the original is still getting traffic?

Was your website simply hit by an Algo update? Check the page below to see if your loss of traffic was around the same time as any Google updates:
    Google Algorithm Change History | SEOmoz

Generally if you had three versions out there then the latest two would be penalised. If the SEO company then tried redirecting all content from the original site to the penalised sites you may well have issues.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks Doodled, yes we set up a new domain to redirect traffic. I can see the original site from webmaster tools and can see it is still being crawled and receiving impressions same with the dev site - looks like our main keywords that would live on all 3 sites have been penalised as I can see they where hit on the dev site and our old domain yet the new domain has no impressions of these keywords at all and over the week none if the sites have impressions for them. Is it possible to recover these?

Now the dev site is blocked and 301 is correct on the old domain should we start seeing an improvement or are we talking months to revive these?

Again thanks for your help!