1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple URLs with duplicate content

Hi,

Here is the issue:
    My client has a domain in the format of www.zzz.com This domain was also created in the following format: https://ww3.zzz.com The whole ww3 website is a duplication of the www.
    All inner pages has the same urls as the primary domain's pages but with additional parameters.

What is the best action to do:
    1) Add <META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="noindex,nofollow"> in HEAD HTML
    2) Send 301 - Moved Permanently redirect to the home page and relevant inner pages.
    3) In the Robots.txt:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ann Smarty; Jun 28th, 2017 at 08:28 PM.
  3. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I tend to recommend 301 redirect but let's see what others think too!
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for replying Ann!
    Another question for you regarding the same client:
    The site https://www.zzz.com is almost a duplication of another domain of the same client (https://www.yyy.biz). It had different content but 6 months ago they moved the zzz to a different CMS and changed the content to be the same as yyy. Before this operation both were ranked high in Google for similar keywords. Since the change, both lost rankings in many top keywords. The zzz targets the US and the yyy targets all the world.
    What do you suggest is the best solution to get them both back in rankings? Add canonical to the zzz and also hreflang for the US? Will adding a canonical tag to the zzz pointing to yyy as the origin, will disable it from appearing in Google search? Is the best solution for them is to change back the original content of zzz?
    I hope I didn't confuse you too much

Many Thanks!
    Last edited by dzine; Jun 29th, 2017 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Example links defused, then approved
  7. No Profile Picture

I think 301 redirect is the best solution but report client's site is another method hmm
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your reply Andrew.
    What do you mean by report client's site?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by taLyaLL
    The site https://www.zzz.com is almost a duplication of another domain of the same client (https://www.yyy.biz). It had different content but 6 months ago they moved the zzz to a different CMS and changed the content to be the same as yyy. Before this operation both were ranked high in Google for similar keywords. Since the change, both lost rankings in many top keywords.
    Well there is your issue. What you are probably experiencing is "SERP FOLDING". This is when Google sees two sites, content is the same, ownership of the sites is attributed to the same entity.

Many things can and will will happen in the serps. One day site yyy shows up for a keyword, then the next day site zzz shows up for that term and they swap days, and flip flop around. One site will show for a given term and the other site is no where to be found. Understand these are not penalties, just Google trying to provide the best answer to the searcher. It may seem like a penalty, but its not.

Depending on whether you want both sites to rank or not. Making the second site a duplicate was a mistake to start with.

Option A.
    301 redirect one site to the other. All the work of duplicating the site was wasted. Why, because the 301 redirects all traffic and Google will not be able to scan and index the redirected site.

Option B
    Use rel canonical and hreflang tags to separate the sites. This way both sites will be indexed and if you implement the tags correctly, they will start to rank again.
    There are many threads on the forum that explains the use of hreflang tags... Search the forums for davehampton, it is an example of how to implement hreflang tags.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I recommend the 301 redirect approach, since it is the most predictable, especially if rankings / traffic is going to both places...
    "...using this: sages act out of constructs but they do not rely on them"
  15. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Will adding a canonical tag to the zzz pointing to yyy as the origin, will disable it from appearing in Google search?
    Unfortunately yes, this will result in zzz losing the rankings...

Is the best solution for them is to change back the original content of zzz?
    Yes, that's the best option. The zzz site needs to have an updated original content if you want them both to rank. You can also use International targeting to help Google understand that's for the US-only visitors but I usually refrain from playing with that setting, especially for the United States. It's hard to predict what harm it will do. Since you have two sites, it may be an option though... But I'd still make sure the content is original
  17. No Profile Picture

Thank you all!
  19. No Profile Picture

Last question - When I checked the Search Console I saw that in the 'links to your site' there is a huge amount of links which doesn't make sense. For example, there are links showing from a websites that my client purchased and 301 redirected it to the yyy website.
    Another example are links to the yyy website from zzz, but when drilling down the report I couldn't find any link to yyy on the source pages. Same scenario in the zzz search console.
    Can this mess be due to the content duplication? or in the first example, doing a wrong 301 redirect that caused Google to see the purchased domain still without the 301 redirect? (even though there is a 301 redirection when uploading the purchased site).
    A lot of mess here...
    Should I recommend the client to disavow?
    Please advise.

Thanks!
    Last edited by talyaull; Jun 30th, 2017 at 06:16 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture

But what is the reason for the huge amount of links which could not be actually found?
    Should we apply to Google with disavow?
  23. No Profile Picture

I think 301 redirect is the best option for you