1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple different websites or one combined

Hi

I am new to the forum but have a few questions where I could use some help.

I would like to create a website that is individual for each state. Say I want to write about bistros in the USA. I could create a website for each state. E.i. www.BistroInNewJersey.com and so on or I would create one site called www.BistroInUSA.com and have a link to each state. This is just an example but to show what I mean. Of course the content is going to be different for each state but it will be same setup for the sites. I want to do a lot of description about the state, "bistros", "food" etc so it will take up some space. My concern is therefore that one site will not be a good fit and also it seems better to have the URL state the specific state.

My questions:

1. Is it better to do subdomains on one website or to create several websites for each state when you consider SEO?
    2. If I do several sites (I know it is a lot of work) what is the best way to link them together SEO wise? (are there any litterature)
    3. Are there any SEO pitfalls I should try to avoid with a setup like this (no matter what I choose)
    4. Any good advise?

I am not that experienced so please bear with me. I do have some knowledge though but have not build a site from scratch before so it will be a long process and if I will add states continously. (will focus on a few to start with)

Thank you!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Linking together all your sites can cause problems if any of your sites are not 'above board'. Otherwise, it shouldnt negatively impact it.

In my opinion its better to go for one global authority site, then to do a ton of these more niche sites. In the long-run, thin sites with little information will not last.

To some extent this may depend on the niche. I can think of subjects where a global site would probably not do well if there are significant state specific search volumes for it.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts.