Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Multiple City Targeting

One of our client wants to target same service on multiple cities (approximately 20 cities). What is the ideal way to target multiple cities without hurting the SEO?

We suggested him to use separate domains for separate cities, but client want to use the same domain. Is it a good idea to create separate pages for multiple cities? or search engines will consider those pages as spam?

How should we target multiple cities while not looking like a doorway pages?
  3. No Profile Picture

First of all separate domain fro separate city if client does not accept this then you can go with web pages with location keyword and URLs in one URL
  5. No Profile Picture

If we create multiple pages then there will be 20 pages for same service in website. Google will not consider this as spam? like doorway pages.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by chepsi_bhardwaj
    If we create multiple pages then there will be 20 pages for same service in website. Google will not consider this as spam? like doorway pages.
    It used to be a very effective method but now, not so much.

And yes, if your content is too similar then you could be flagged for creating doorway pages.

I'd concentrate on trying to make one "super" landing page with all of your locations listed in there.

Depending on the service offered, it's usually possible to get some relevant local information in.

Comments on this post

• Digital Marketeer : no no no no no
  9. No Profile Picture

How can we target 20 cities on one page? how to create super landing page? can you please explain it to me.

And I don't think that it is possible to add local information to the pages. As the service offered on those page is web design.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by chepsi_bhardwaj
    How can we target 20 cities on one page? how to create super landing page? can you please explain it to me.

And I don't think that it is possible to add local information to the pages. As the service offered on those page is web design.
    Mention the locations you operate in and create a great page that converts, adding 20 pages about "web design in california" and "web design in new york" isn't really going to add any value in the eyes of Google.

Search is localised anyway, so as long as you're physically close to the searcher that solves a lot of your problems as long as the location you operate in are mentioned.

Just realised you're talking about a client anyway, presumably they're paying you to figure it out not me.

Comments on this post

• chepsi_bhardwaj agrees
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks IvanDrago
  15. No Profile Picture

Create multiple pages according to the city the client wants and then start working for on-page and off-page SEO.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I have to STRONGLY disagree with Ivan's earlier comments. DO NOT create one "super landing page" and just keyword stuff all the cities you service...how horrible! You need to create unique individual pages for the cities you want to rank in...otherwise you will not be competitive. It doesn't matter if the root of the content is the same....you'll just need to figure out how to say it 20 different ways...and you will not get penalized. I utilize TextBroker.com for this...there are other sites with freelance writers, but I have found this to be the best market place and alsot he most cost effective.

Comments on this post

• IvanDrago : Good advice a decade ago.
    • Prof.stan agrees : i agree with you
  19. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Digital Marketeer
    I have to STRONGLY disagree with Ivan's earlier comments. DO NOT create one "super landing page" and just keyword stuff all the cities you service...how horrible! You need to create unique individual pages for the cities you want to rank in...otherwise you will not be competitive. It doesn't matter if the root of the content is the same....you'll just need to figure out how to say it 20 different ways...and you will not get penalized. I utilize TextBroker.com for this...there are other sites with freelance writers, but I have found this to be the best market place and alsot he most cost effective.
    I'd like to know where I mentioned keyword stuffing?

I think your advice belongs in the past, these kind of pages add next to no value anymore, it screams out spam particularly for a web design business.

And the fact you're willing to pay "freelance writers" for this useless filler content says it all really.
    Last edited by IvanDrago; Aug 28th, 2018 at 04:10 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can pay for quality content, and this method is the only method. Look at any location pages that rank, and nearly all of them have their own dedicated pages to the city you've searched. Unless you are in a niche industy, the odds f you ranking for the majority of cities you service, by having 1 page that mentions every city (what I consider keyword stuffing), is highly unlikely and next to impossible.

Good luck losing in search results with your tactic. It's a fail from the get-go.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I mean seriously...I can't believe how bad of suggestion this is for local SEO. Goes against all common knowledge and practice. Just so bad....
  25. Contributing User

I mean seriously...I can't believe how bad of suggestion this is for local SEO. Goes against all common knowledge and practice. Just so bad....
    The only situation where I think it's necessary is if you have multiple physical locations, if you serve several locations from one base then it's a waste of time.

If, as you said, you're saying the same thing in a different way 20 times that's nothing more than spam.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by IvanDrago
    The only situation where I think it's necessary is if you have multiple physical locations, if you serve several locations from one base then it's a waste of time.

If, as you said, you're saying the same thing in a different way 20 times that's nothing more than spam.
    1. So basically screw service area businesses? Obviously can't do much about the local map listings, as physical locations will always have the edge, but the search results beneath that require having a local landing page - period.

2. Doesn't matter if you have a physical location or a service area business..unless you are a well known brand, and you're just serving up nearby addresses in your site search or geo pages, you need to have a local landing page, which will require writing the same thing 20 different ways. If you're a plumber, for example, there's only so many ways you can describe what you can do. So, even if you're discussing the same topic, as long as each local landing page doesn't have duplicate/thin content, which is possible with quality writers...you'll be fine.

If you don't have the resources, time, funds, to create unique content for each local landing page, than having a singular page will be the safest route. Maybe that is our middle ground?
    Last edited by Digital Marketeer; Aug 29th, 2018 at 09:21 AM.
  29. Contributing User

1. So basically screw service area businesses? Obviously can't do much about the local map listings, as physical locations will always have the edge, but the search results beneath that require having a local landing page - period.

2. Doesn't matter if you have a physical location or a service area business..unless you are a well known brand, and you're just serving up nearby addresses in your site search or geo pages, you need to have a local landing page, which will require writing the same thing 20 different ways. If you're a plumber, for example, there's only so many ways you can describe what you can do. So, even if you're discussing the same topic, as long as each local landing page doesn't have duplicate/thin content, which is possible with quality writers...you'll be fine.

If you don't have the resources, time, funds, to create unique content for each local landing page, than having a singular page will be the safest route. Maybe that is our middle ground?
    The SERPs for both plumbers and web design are dominated by ads, map listings and either big brands or comparison sites, individual location pages as described aren't going to get you anywhere near the top unless you go the hyperlocal + niche service route.

Users searching for these services generally want to know what you can do, where you can do it and how much it costs, thatís the useful information and a plumber could quite easily get this all on one or two pages.

If itís some kind of national franchise then go for the location route, but otherwise Iíd avoid it.

I donít think it would hurt your rankings or get you penalised either, just isn't effective anymore for anything with a decent amount of competition.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: