1. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Mobile Interstatial Penalty (Google)

Just thought i'd post this for you guys, came into effect yesterday.

Google's Mobile Interstitial & Popup Change Now Live: What to Know

https://webmasters.googleblog.com/20...ontent-on.html

Copying exactly off Google Webmasters Blog:
    January 10, 2017 update: Starting today, pages where content is not easily accessible to a user on the transition from the mobile search results may not rank as high. As we said, this new signal is just one of hundreds of signals that are used in ranking and the intent of the search query is still a very strong signal, so a page may still rank highly if it has great, relevant content. Please head to the webmaster forums if you have any questions.

There's been plenty of warning about this one, so hope none of you have been hit, and if you have then it's an easy fix

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : Thanks for posting this!
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  3. Administrator
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Some updates and new revelations about this:

Country and language selector pop-ups, if they're too big and obnoxious, could trigger this penalty. Kind of a surprise because I think about that as more of a UX feature...but John Mueller mentions a method Amazon uses, which does not involve a pop-up, and which he says is superior and less obnoxious.

No surprise here, but the interstitial penalty is applied whenever a page is recrawled. In other words, it's a "real time" update kind of like Penguin is now. Each time a page is recrawled, the penalty is either re-applied or removed.

Wondering what the size limit on your pop-ups is? Well, Google won't really say. But John Mueller suggests using "app banner size" as an example.

Originally Posted by John Mueller
    I'd recommend looking at things like the normal app banners. I believe Safari has a standard app banner, and something around that size.
  5. Super Moderator

Another update to add to what Mark has added, these don't seem to be having a massive impact:
    Google
  7. Administrator

Bit surprising! I was hoping this would crush the pop-up, or at least make them more user friendly, tbh. The drops that Gabe highlights look like good ones, but the problem is just that he's not seeing them happen often enough - is that it? Maybe it really will take a lot of time, if Illyes is right that the penalty is only applied on a recrawl. Maybe most of the sites with obnoxious pop-ups just don't have high recrawl priority? Weird.
  9. Super Moderator

Bit surprising! I was hoping this would crush the pop-up, or at least make them more user friendly, tbh. The drops that Gabe highlights look like good ones, but the problem is just that he's not seeing them happen often enough - is that it? Maybe it really will take a lot of time, if Illyes is right that the penalty is only applied on a recrawl. Maybe most of the sites with obnoxious pop-ups just don't have high recrawl priority? Weird.
    They're either not often enough, or they're not powerful enough.

Thing is, there's been enough time for Google to roll it out and recrawl. 60 sites should be enough to start seeing an impact somewhere of some scale.
  11. Administrator

Originally Posted by ThomasHarvey
    Thing is, there's been enough time for Google to roll it out and recrawl. 60 sites should be enough to start seeing an impact somewhere of some scale.
    Yeah, I agree there. Seems like they'll need to crank up the power if they want to have any impact at all. As Glenn Gabe says in that link you posted, I really don't want to see sites that removed their overly large pop-ups put them back up because they think there are no consequences.