1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Mixed opinions and unable to come to a conclusion on SEO for my site

Hi All

I'm working on the content part of my website and my site is a Review Site for the Financial Markets and Trading industry. The Industry is highly competitive and its global presence make SEO even more difficult. To be honest I came across the term "SEO Difficulty" on another forum which was talking about stiff competitors. I'm getting Keywords which has more than millions search results on Keyword tools. When I compared my competitors websites I can see the top 10 of them have so much of content on their homepage and subsequent pages, there is a difference of 2 to 3 years of difference between me and my competitors as far as domain age is concerned.

My SEO guy who is trying to analyse and help me out with techniques told me that Content is the "King of SEO", just a phrase I suppose but he also gave me pointers to work on like On page Optimisation, Off Page and much more.

My question are

1. When you know you are going to put your foot in to a highly competitive market what should I do different and how?

2. How do I target the entire world under one .com domain should I open .eu , .uk and so on but I don't see my competitors do that? or I'm unaware

3. Should I load my home page with content, external links, internal links, related links and so on?

4. Google adwords is freakishly expensive for the target keywords for what investment I have, so that will not be possible any other suggestions?

If any of you are in such competitive industries and have seen success kindly share some ideas and inputs, will be very helpful

Many Thanks in advance to all

Thanks

Daniel
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by dannyboy06
    1. When you know you are going to put your foot in to a highly competitive market what should I do different and how?
    The first thing I like to do is analyze my competition's websites and make a list of all the things they are doing that i believe are contributing to their success. A couple examples that are always on my lists are:
    • content (score the quality and quantity)
    • inbound links (are the places linking to my competition a good place to request a link to my site?

In addition I look at the link structure, keyword density, etc of my competition. After I have my list together I start going through each item and apply what I've learned (sometimes mimicking the competition) and improving on areas where my competition fell short.

2. How do I target the entire world under one .com domain should I open .eu , .uk and so on but I don't see my competitors do that? or I'm unaware
    I don't believe you'll need to get different TLDs like .eu, .es and the like. However, you may want to consider providing content in more than one language if you believe it will help attract interested users. If you do decide on providing different languages, use caution... may sites rely on "translator plugins" to convert to different languages. This may seem like an easy fix, but if you or someone on-staff can't read the languages you're providing, how do you know how well the translation tool is working?

3. Should I load my home page with content, external links, internal links, related links and so on
    In short... No

4. Google adwords is freakishly expensive for the target keywords for what investment I have, so that will not be possible any other suggestions?
    Before completely disregarding AdWords and other PPC from your toolset, consider bidding on long-tail keywords. these are typically searched less in volume, but also considerably less expensive, and will still bring in some great targeted traffic. To this point, consider reading a great article put together by members of this form where they tested out targeting long-tail keywords on a site they built, though i'm having trouble finding the link. I believe it was done by @chedders and @ThomasHarvey

Comments on this post

• markroberts agrees : Thanks for this, amigo! Been making some awesome posts lately.
    • distinctseo agrees
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks a ton for being patient and anwering my questions and clearing my doubts mainstwebguy.... I'm sure I'll have more doubts and questions popping up in my head but will wait for more responses for a while
  7. Contributing User

One of the most important things to try and keep in mind as the site is developed is to build in content and features that are appealing to your users, not just search engines. Think about the kinds of sites you visit and enjoy reading.... I'm guessing that they consist of concise, factual and interesting content rather than a page that's a mile long dissertation filled with words you can't pronounce about topics that hold little excitement/relevance. If you keep that in mind, then questions about what kind of content to include and what features should be included on the home page (and other pages) will be a bit less cumbersome

Users on a site, and the way they interact with a site feed loads of data to Google and other search engines that they take into account when rewarding (or punishing) a website with rank

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
  9. No Profile Picture

once the content is indexed by SE can I remove replace content or just keep piling up or adding info... after the site is developed adding fresh content everyday on home page or other pages is a healthy practice or not from the SE point
  11. Contributing User

Again, keep your users in mind here.

Adding fresh content can be a good thing because people don't like reading the same ole stuff... however, some content doesn't ever need to be replaced and should probably never be removed... think pages in wikipedia, for example.

Replacing content is usually frowned upon, but if the content is considered duplicate content, then removing or replacing it is a good idea.

Again, don't think so much of the search engines when it comes to content. Think about who will be reading/using your site.

When you mentioned how competitive your market is and how expensive a lot of the keywords would be to bid on, maybe you can think of a cool "free" tool you can develop that would help people in your industry. You could do a small PPC campaign targeting a very few of the most searched (and competitive) keywords and direct traffic to your tool. If you build a tool that people use (as some on this site have done for other niches) you'd be surprised how much traffic will pick up and how that traffic will boost organic rankings
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mainstwebguy
    Again, keep your users in mind here.

Adding fresh content can be a good thing because people don't like reading the same ole stuff... however, some content doesn't ever need to be replaced and should probably never be removed... think pages in wikipedia, for example.

Replacing content is usually frowned upon, but if the content is considered duplicate content, then removing or replacing it is a good idea.

Again, don't think so much of the search engines when it cobmes to content. Think about who will be reading/using your site.

When you mentioned how competitive your market is and how expensive a lot of the keywords would be to bid on, maybe you can think of a cool "free" tool you can develop that would help people in your industry. You could do a small PPC campaign targeting a very few of the most searched (and competitive) keywords and direct traffic to your tool. If you build a tool that people use (as some on this site have done for other niches) you'd be surprised how much traffic will pick up and how that traffic will boost organic rankings
    Can you give me some examples on the tool & ppc or somthing free please that is intresting and I can create something in that fashion...
  15. Contributing User

for an example,

a lot of SEO agencies have come out with free tools that give tips on how to improve on-page seo. a popular example is MOZ Local

I don't know much about what you do specifically, so i can't give you any ideas that might work. But what kinds of things help you make better decisions about your business? are there tools out there you already use? if not... make one
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Maybe you should start out targeting some of the lower competitive terms first, low hanging fruit. As your site becomes an authority, then start targeting some of the harder terms.
    A dot com by definition targets the planet earth, all the others target specific locations and make it hard to rank globally. That is why you don't see it done!
    3. Should I load my home page with content, external links, internal links, related links and so on?
    You should create compelling content, use contextual linking to internal pages. When you make a statement of fact, use a no follow link to the authority site to validate your opinions and statements ! You see a lot of members here posting links to moz, searchengine land , seo round table to validate the statements we make. Lends credibility to your site!
    Do not waste your time using PPC thinking it will help your SEO, it may get you traffic, but it will absolutely NOT help SEO.

Try to cultivate some good links to your site. Get a DMOZ listing one of the few directories that still carries weight and is respected !
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 6th, 2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  19. No Profile Picture

Thanks to mainstwebguy and know one special .... I'm talking a few hours to write down all the points you have given and make a check list as I try to do one at a time.

In the meantime I want to know how I handle this situation

The old site is a php static site and in existence for 2 years. Now I'm designing a mobile responsive WP press. I'll use the same domian remove the old php site and add the new WP design.... will this need some special work where I have to tell Google that this what I'm doing....
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I suggest you make a note of your most popular pages, the one that get traffic, make a list so you can create 301's for them after the change.

Make very sure you have a Google Search Console account. Do this before you make the change over. This way you can detect any 404 errors from existing in bound links going to pages that have had their urls change because of site structure change. 301 those to the new correct page.
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    I suggest you make a note of your most popular pages, the one that get traffic, make a list so you can create 301's for them after the change.

Make very sure you have a Google Search Console account. Do this before you make the change over. This way you can detect any 404 errors from existing in bound links going to pages that have had their urls change because of site structure change. 301 those to the new correct page.

The previous site was a static site and I just know that when I started the site it was getting response for a month and a half but later it stopped and I don't know why and I never bothered about it. Now a year later I've understood the importance of SEO & more than understanding its sheer motivation now to make money my competitors are making $100,000 every month then why can't I?

As far as Google console account is concerned I'll get it organised now.

But how will Google Console help in SEO?
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Once you install Google Analytics and start tracking your visitors, Your GSC (Google Search Console )will show you what queries your site is appearing for in the serps. It will provide you which queries result in a click to your site. It will let you know if it was a desktop visitor or a mobile visitor.

It will report a variety of errors. One of the most important is 404 errors for your site. Now when you see a 404 you can if there is an appropriate new page provide a 301 redirect to that page for the url that resulted in a 404. This lets you preserve the link juice to your site.

There are many more reasons to get a GSC account.. So much so that it really can't be explained in a single post. Nor would I want to.. be like writing a book, lol

Suffice to say, set it up and start using it.. you will start to appreciate it and it will not take long either.
  27. No Profile Picture

Smile Focus on what you do best

...my competitors are making $100,000 every month then why can't I?
    Both mainstwebguy and knowonespecial are sharing some useful tips on SEO, all things that are definitely worth pursuing. But I did want to make a small point about your comment above - just don't worry about the competition so much and do what you do best. Find what your unique value prop is and then create content that serves that to your users. I'm a content writer, and I try to stay in the mindset of "who is this content going to help and how?" It'll probably take longer than you'd like (because these things often do) but I'm confident it'll pay off for you. Good luck!
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by emmaval
    Both mainstwebguy and knowonespecial are sharing some useful tips on SEO, all things that are definitely worth pursuing. But I did want to make a small point about your comment above - just don't worry about the competition so much and do what you do best. Find what your unique value prop is and then create content that serves that to your users. I'm a content writer, and I try to stay in the mindset of "who is this content going to help and how?" It'll probably take longer than you'd like (because these things often do) but I'm confident it'll pay off for you. Good luck!
    Thank you emmaval for your valuable response at the right time. Writing appropriate & good content is not easy but if that's what will pay out, do I have a choice but to just work on it