1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Minimum Number of Pages

Hello,

Question: Are there a minimum number of pages a new or existing site should have to rank respectably and achieve a certain amount of authority in SERP's? (i.e. 10 pages minimum).

I realize there are a number of other factors that come into play, but assuming the site has adequate content and is architected properly.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ray
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I dont think so, if it's unique and well publicised but how many authority sites have you came accross recently with 2 pages

I'd also consider a flash site for a music festival - ie one page - it'll be the authority term for it's brand name, becasue of links and the keywords in the url but probably wont rank for long tail keywords, like your normal authority site.

A ten page website would be adeqaute imho to rank for sites in many markets, but you'll certainly be limiting traffic with only ten pages, unless you have the best external links in the world.

Also I would consider the age of the domain - a new site would / might be treated differently to a 10 year old domain that's not been doing anything shady and Google trusts.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Agreed

Thanks for the reply!

If 2 pages is too few and 10 pages is better - but limiting - what number of pages, in your opinion, is ideal?

Ray
    Writing Web Words
  7. Contributing User

How long is a piece of string?

I can only give you my opinion:

Is this a company site for a brand name? 10 Pages might do it if backed up with a good linkbuilding campaign, but note what I said about long tail traffic. I've built a 10 page site that ranked for the company name and the competitive primary two word phrase that described the company's industry.

However this would be harder to do nowadays.

If I was building what I would percieve to be an future authority site I'd be thinking more of the timeline to build content on the site so that it went 10-20-30-40-50 pages etc as you would expect with an authority site.

Generally I would expect an authority site to have content that people were compelled to link to, and this means pages unfortunately in the white hat world we live in ;)
  9. Contributing User

I would add to rank reasonably and be treated as an authority are two different things - expectations on traffic levels would be different.

A site could be an auhority for a brand name, esp a made up name, on a new site with little work if the brand was new and the serps werent polluted already (ie on more authoratitive domain) but only for that keyword search - it would probably get little unbranded traffic.

Hope this isnt too cryptic - I am not trying to be.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

One page could rank authoritatively in theory, if it had enough backlinks, it's just unlikely that that circumstance, where you could sum some subject up on one page so well that everyone wanted to link to it, would even actually occur in reality.

The point is that there's no 'minimum'.