Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Domain Hatcher
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Meta Tags Experiment - No Meta vrs Meta

I have been taking a serious look at how modern Google algorithms credit or devalue solid SEO practices that would seem to fit 'SE's Law'. I made 50 pages 6 months ago with no meta data at all to see if they would rank well?

Observation: The results were staggering during the first Jagger update. The meta-less pages went number one! While my highly optimized pages went down in organic serps. Same back links and PR value. Some of the new pages were titled "new page 1" and yet they kicked butt!

Another observation: 2 of my sites went up in PR considerably and went down in the serps at the same time. Competitors with PR significantly lower, less pages by the thousand, less optimization did much better.

I do very little reciprocal links (20 a year)
    These sites are 18 months old
    These sites are very popular
    These sites are non-commercial

Maybe this update is coming after the SEO's personally.

To good, to clean, to prepared, to true to SE's Law may get a dampening filter?

Well, what do I know...just some observations

D

Comments on this post

• rmccarley agrees : Thanks for bringing that.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Wow. Verrrry interesting. No meta tags?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You simply haven't done enough research and are jumping to conclusions of the flimsiest of evidence and like many, getting it wrong.

It's very, very easy to check on terms where sites have bombed since the update to see what's replaced them and guess what? Yep - they all have metas, some a load of them. They are also for the most part heavily optimised in many areas.

To eliminate coincidence you need to look at a LOT of sites and data. Sadly very few people do so hence all the half-baked theories on the boards that become 'fact' but in reality have little to do with facts.

Comments on this post

• raz agrees : Appropriate comment
    • bigdoug : no conclusion was given - read the thread
  7. Domain Hatcher

Originally Posted by Tony B
    You simply haven't done enough research and are jumping to conclusions of the flimsiest of evidence and like many, getting it wrong.

It's very, very easy to check on terms where sites have bombed since the update to see what's replaced them and guess what? Yep - they all have metas, some a load of them. They are also for the most part heavily optimised in many areas.

To eliminate coincidence you need to look at a LOT of sites and data. Sadly very few people do so hence all the half-baked theories on the boards that become 'fact' but in reality have little to do with facts.
    1) I guess you missed the point in my thread! I said observations on my sites...
    2) This is an experiment in the primitive.
    3) No facts for the entire net were given.
    4) It seems you jump to conclusions yourself

D

Comments on this post

• sunnymonkey agrees : Saw a comment like this comming and it made me chuckle :) Thanks
  9. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Tony B

I would tend to agree here [on the validity of the test case].

2+2=4 when you can see everything, all processes involved, etc. what your eye's see is generally correct.

However, when the equation is 2 UNKNOWN VALUE 2 = you cannot "assume the answer as that "could" 0, 1, 1.4142135623730950488016887242097, or 4 & 4 could be because of + or X meanings you see the same end results but you've assumed the conclusion and they ranked 'better' because of Meta-less when it could be purely based on "fresh pages".

None-the-less META's have depreciated significantly in ranking value and likely "deprecated"...

I don't use they "at all" - and clients don't suffer "at all".

At best they are the difference between ranked #10 and #10.1 - almost a null... and if you use them to potentially aid in ordered ranks - define them based purely on your page content and not on your target phrases.

e.g. if Contact US page only has contact info - best use of Meta is geographical location [if address is used as visible text] rather than your prime keyphrases.

Each page META should be unique "to the page" and not a copy across the board.

That said... it is wasted effort.... but your case study does not actually show that.
    Last edited by fathom; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
  11. <- Have you read my blog?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I haven't said anything for a month. But I have noticed this too. I design my new pages to not have any meta tags now and they rank extremely well. I guess the cat is out of the bag =)

Comments on this post

• bigdoug agrees : I am not alone?
    www.Three-Way-Links.com - Amazing way to increase your rank with Google - trading three way links!
    Free Online Games - free online games - what else could you want?
  13. Domain Hatcher

Good points thanks for sharing in this discussion Fathom, Hexed

D
  15. <- Have you read my blog?

You are not alone. I know alot of secret tips that I don't release on the forums. This was one of them.

But there is a way to use it correctly, and a way to do it incorrectly.

Good find.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Superb comment!
    Last edited by hexed; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 05:35 PM.
  17. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by hexed
    You are not alone. I know alot of secret tips that I don't release on the forums. This was one of them.

Good find.
    heehee... LOL! YA

TIP: write an article targeted for your competitors about the enormous value of META.

How they need to be cloaked so competitors cannot find them [like on your website].

How you need to make them totally unique per page to avoid "over optimization penalty"... so they waste valuable time.

Link the hell out of it.... and let the HYPE do the rest... and get on with business!

Comments on this post

• SuccessGuru agrees : Brilliant idea
  19. <- Have you read my blog?

Okay - if you say so =)
  21. Domain Hatcher

Originally Posted by hexed
    You are not alone. I know a lot of secret tips that I don't release on the forums. This was one of them.

Good find.
    Sorry for outing your tip Hexed. Maybe I should have kept my pie hole shut. The guy at the top seemed pissed, and maybe he uses this stradegy...lol

He is probably saying, "You freaking' idiot, now I have to write a crappy statement to discourage others from seriously looking into this...thanks Idiot"......LMAO

D
  23. <- Have you read my blog?

Hexed
    Last edited by hexed; Nov 2nd, 2005 at 07:06 PM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Meta Tags Seem to only have the ability to hurt

For the last 2 years, it seems that Meta Tags can only hurt your page.If you have meta tags not relevant to the page, you can be penalized. BUT if you do not have meta tags, typically does not do a thing to you.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

wow...i think you should request moderator to close this or delete this thread immediately ;) or everyone will know this secret kekekek
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by vnsco
    For the last 2 years, it seems that Meta Tags can only hurt your page.If you have meta tags not relevant to the page, you can be penalized. BUT if you do not have meta tags, typically does not do a thing to you.
    I have not found this to be true. Used properly (at least as I think of properly) meta tags definitely do not hurt, and I think the meta description can help - just not by stuffing it with keywords the way an SEO would have a few years back.

One thing for certain, properly writen meta descriptions can help with click throughs, which are almost as important as SERPs.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: