Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Meta description

In some of the web pages of my client site i didn't use any meta description, but still then a snippet is showing in google serp for those pages, what it would be?
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Are you drunk?
    what could it be?
    You didn't use any meta description...and your wondering what it could be..
    Thats about the funniest thing I've heard in quite a while.

Ya think maybe it could be you didn't add any meta descriptions?
  5. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by sabu1
    In some of the web pages of my client site i didn't use any meta description, but still then a snippet is showing in google serp for those pages, what it would be?
    The snippet that shows is most likely a bit of on-page text. Is it not, in your case?
  7. No Profile Picture

Smile

Yes,

It happens, if you don't use Meta Description then search engine uses your first 2, 3 lines as a snippet in search engine results pages.

Originally Posted by sabu1
  9. In the game since Jan '06
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by motel125
    Hello,
    Meta description is the very important part in the on-page optimization, when you do on-page then meta is the must and need original content not use duplicate content, based your website only.
    META description is NOT a factor Google uses when ranking a site.

The use of the META description lies in the fact that thy can be the snippet of info you see in the description of a listing on te SERPs, hence can increase click troughs. They are not a direct ranking factor.

Do bear in mind that Google doesn't always use te META description, depending on the search term used. They can just as easily use a snippet of contet from your actual on-page content if they deem it more relevant to that particular keyword.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : And if it is a factor, it's not nearly enough to spend time on.
    Last edited by thegodfather; Oct 14th, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
    "In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life." - George Best
  11. No Profile Picture

Hello Sabu1
    I agree with the responses you have received so far for a regional / global site, however, I would suggest that a well written, focused description can be beneficial to reinforce other specific detail for a local web page.
    As 'New Daddy', (congratulations), says your description is not always used but at least when it is it says what you want searchers to read.
    Regards
    Neil
  13. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by elyman
    Hello Sabu1
    I agree with the responses you have received so far for a regional / global site, however, I would suggest that a well written, focused description can be beneficial to reinforce other specific detail for a local web page.
    As 'New Daddy', (congratulations), says your description is not always used but at least when it is it says what you want searchers to read.
    Regards
    Neil
    You are correct: a well-written description text can be beneficial, albeit not as a SEO ranking factor.

But yes: IF it shows on the results page, then it MAY reel in visitors because of it being well-written and catchy and inviting.

It's good practice for any SEO to add a good, short, catchy and unique "description" meta tag to each webpage.

Comments on this post

• Jocelyn agrees : Yep... takes seconds to write and may be displayed in the serps
    ...Hey you! FREE SEO report card ...I really my hosting company...
  15. No Profile Picture

Sorry Muzz, I can't agree either. It has a purpose, however, it is not critical.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hello,
    Thank you for the sharing this all info I think meta description is the must in on-page optimization so you must add meta description on your website.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : Read up... the meta description does not effect your on-page optimization and is not essential..
  19. SEO Insultant

Originally Posted by karthickpacific
    Meta description is one of the important tactics in On page optimization. If an external user search on sites then their keyword would link to your description keyword and makes you to increase your page rank on search engines.
    Ummm..... No.

Best if you READ some more posts first, before throwing SEO terms together in an undoubtedly well-meant effort to offer SEO advice here
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by haveconle
    Mata tag is most improve your on page SEO. Meta tag is most important factor to Google Ranking.
    Actually, Google does not consider tags anymore because they were abused.

I'd never heard before that Meta Title and Description are also not relevant to SEO. In any case, optimized meta data is important as another way to add your keywords but more importantly a quality title and description showing in search results is likely to get a higher CTR than the generic snippet, which is usually the first lines of that page (if no meta data has been set.)
  23. SEO Insultant

We like to call <title> the "title element" and it is indeed very important AND used to rank webpages. It is not a meta tag
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dzine
    We like to call <title> the "title element" and it is indeed very important AND used to rank webpages. It is not a meta tag
    Well yes, I should clarify. Meta Title and Description matter, and meta tags (keywords) are still considered by other search engines (just not Google). Simple miscommunication perhaps, that is what I meant anyways.
  27. SEO Insultant

Yeah but I hope you're not talking about the <meta name="title" ... /> tag. That one means nothing.

What I meant was that the term "meta title" is a bit confusing and should best be avoided in the future
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dzine
    Yeah but I hope you're not talking about the <meta name="title" ... /> tag. That one means nothing.

What I meant was that the term "meta title" is a bit confusing and should best be avoided in the future
    Again, that depends on perspective. The Page Title and Meta Title can be different, and I'm not talking about for SEO but for higher CTR.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: