1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Merging two company websites: 301 redirect, or links on each page/home page

My company has acquired another company and would like to direct traffic from the acquired company's website to our website. Both domains have good domain age and link power. Would removing all pages from the acquired domain and 301 redirecting the domain to our website be good for SEO, or would it not carry any link power? Would it be better to just drop all pages except the home page and include a link to our website?
  3. No Profile Picture

Post Spread Link juice

Hello Scott

I would suggest you to link the pages rather than adding the pages to the domain as your different domain if have high PR will spread a link juice to your upcoming domain link page...

Adding pages to present domain will neutralize the domain PR and will not add any value to your domain.

In case you have any question ask me here or connect me on skype:- shawn.austin5

Thanks
    Shawn Austin

Originally Posted by ScottW
    My company has acquired another company and would like to direct traffic from the acquired company's website to our website. Both domains have good domain age and link power. Would removing all pages from the acquired domain and 301 redirecting the domain to our website be good for SEO, or would it not carry any link power? Would it be better to just drop all pages except the home page and include a link to our website?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic
  5. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by vikas.silicon
    Hello Scott

I would suggest you to link the pages rather than adding the pages to the domain as your different domain if have high PR will spread a link juice to your upcoming domain link page...

Adding pages to present domain will neutralize the domain PR and will not add any value to your domain.

In case you have any question ask me here or connect me on skype:- shawn.austin5

Thanks
    Shawn Austin
    Don't you think it would be more beneficial to the members here at SEO Chat to keep the conversation public?
  7. No Profile Picture

Hello Kernel

Thanks for your suggestion ! could you please elaborate on the point you disagreed on my reply

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Don't you think it would be more beneficial to the members here at SEO Chat to keep the conversation public?
  9. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by vikas.silicon
    Hello Kernel

Thanks for your suggestion ! could you please elaborate on the point you disagreed on my reply
    What part of my post did you not understand? As for your advice, I only know english, so I didn't really understand what you were trying to say.
  11. No Profile Picture

Seems like Kernel is always having a bad day when he replies to people. His posts look like he has some deep subconscious frustrations. That's not a bad thing however since it can bring humor to this board, so no offense

To Vikas (and Kernel) :

Vikas, what Kernel means is that future communication should be held here in the thread, and not on Skype. That would be more beneficial to the board members.
    Last edited by Chicohuman; Dec 20th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture

So is there a consensus that linking the home page would be more beneficial for SEO than 301 redirecting it to my company's site?
  15. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by Chicohuman
    Seems like Kernel is always having a bad day when he replies to people. His posts look like he has some deep subconscious frustrations. That's not a bad thing however since it can bring humor to this board, so no offense

To Vikas (and Kernel) :

Vikas, what Kernel means is that future communication should be held here in the thread, and not on Skype. That would be more beneficial to the board members.
    What in my reply could have been taken as anything except helpful?

I suggested instead of PMing to each other you keep it public so we can learn.

I do not know enough about the OPs site(s) to offer any advice of my own without explaining all possible scenarios.

I was unable to understand your advice, I imagine you speak a different language than me.

Where was I anything but helpful?
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    What in my reply could have been taken as anything except helpful?

I suggested instead of PMing to each other you keep it public so we can learn.

I do not know enough about the OPs site(s) to offer any advice of my own without explaining all possible scenarios.

I was unable to understand your advice, I imagine you speak a different language than me.

Where was I anything but helpful?
    This :
    "What part of my post did you not understand? As for your advice, I only know english, so I didn't really understand what you were trying to say."

Was not really helpful to him, it could even be an insulting answer to people.

A good answer for him is the answer I gave to him in my last reply, that he probably understood.
  19. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

For me, it would come down to rankings of SITE B & quality of traffic from those rankings.

Where is the new site ranking and How quality is the traffic it is sending over?

If they don't end up staying on site long, giving out info, or buying.. then a site-wide 301 would be something to consider.
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  21. Digital Marketing

Just not enough info imo. You could:
    301 one domain to the other
    Just put a link on one to the other
    Keep the site as is and just change contact details.

Need mo' info