Thread: Merging Sites

1. No Profile Picture
    Emp
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Merging Sites

Hi there

I've got this site: ipad-singapore.com

I'd like to merge all the contents from the above into this other site of mine apple-singapore.com

Both sites are running on wordpress, iPad Singapore has substantially more traffic than apple Singapore.

Would appreciate if someone could recommend me the best way to do this? Such that over time Google recognises that iPad has merged with APple Singapore, and will direct traffic over?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Merging two sites can be a complicated task and needs to be done carefully, it takes some time and preparation to complete but a few things you can do are:

1. 301 Redirect the ipad site to the apple site, you will want to do this at the page level (meaning do not 301 redirect the site to the homepage once the pages of the ipad site are created and ready to go live on the apple site 301 redirect the URLs of the ipad site to their new URLs on the apple site). Doing this in stages and not all at once is best. This will help to pass any link equity already acquired for the ipad site to the apple site.

2. Devise an internal linking strategy that will link the "new" content added from the ipad site throughout the existing apple site, use quality anchor text that links out to other relevant areas of the apple site. Keep in mind that you are not only doing this for the search engines, but also (your top priority) to benefit/help your users.

3. Give it sometime for Google to recrawl your site and update its index, its normal to initially see some traffic loss after merging, try not to worry too much if you see some loss at first as transitions take some time.

Hope that helps some!
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I totally agree with Kevin. But before using 301 redirect, you can use canonical. The difference between these is that 301 is used when you want to permanent move to new page and canonical is used to tell search engine to index only 1 version while other pages are still available for people to see, but not for indexing.
  7. No Profile Picture

I am also agree with the kevin. It is possible but lots of consideration will be required.