1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lots of unused domains - make them all point to my main domain?

I work for a company in which the management could never refuse those emails that state 'you do not own prizewidgetbuyer.tv! buy it before someone else does('nt)'.

So we have amassed quite a few domain names all named similarly to our company name. I do have plans to use them down the line, since if the content is different enough they can count for the sake of SEO. In the mean time he wants to get them all to point to the main site. But is there any point doing this?

If I have them all pointing to my main domain then there is minimal/no seo benefit (?) yet I am making it obvious to google that these are my websites which could affect me when I try to change them into pretend 3rd party sites later on.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by edzillion
    since if the content is different enough they can count for the sake of SEO
    The links from those will have zero value unless then get unique links from outside of your own network of sites. If you have an abundance of content I would put it all on the main site.

In the mean time he wants to get them all to point to the main site. But is there any point doing this?
    If they have type-in traffic, yes. If no type-in traffic.

I work for a company in which the management could never refuse those emails that state 'you do not own prizewidgetbuyer.tv! buy it before someone else does('nt)'.
    Please send me the email address of your boss... I have a few domains I want to unload.

Comments on this post

• gazzahk agrees : He he..
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

It all comes down to the time and effort you have to develop the domains. Pointing them to your main site wont hurt for now and if you decide to develop them later it wont make a difference, especially if those urls never have any actual links pointing at them.

In the future you have to think of how much time and resources it takes to develop a truly strong and well ranking domain name. In most cases it is best to funnel those efforts into one on-topic site. As each page will build the strength of that domain.

By building out separate sites you are splitting your efforts, page rank and link juice. Unless you have a lot of resources it doesn't make good business sense. Sure you may get some longtails just by "putting out several pages of content" but you would get those same longtails, and more by placing the content on an already well established site.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder