1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Looking for ideas on what possibly went wrong (SEO)

Hi, let me try to explain in more detail, and hopefully you can give me ideas or suggestions of what happened.

We have been offering "carpentry" services for over 20 years. We created a website 7 years ago that was just sitting there for the most part.

Now, we started offering full home-improvement services, and we created a new website 3 months ago. This new website started ranking well the first 5 weeks for home-improvement related keywords.

Problem
    After 5 weeks we decided to do a 301 Redirect of our old "carpentry" website. When we did this, it started working accordingly, bringing in branded & carpentry related traffic.... BUT we started loosing traffic to the original intent of home-improvement keywords.

Now
    So now we are seeing good traffic for "carpentry & branded" related keywords (from ols website). The initial keywords for home-improvment traffic we started getting the 1st 5 weeks are now completely lost!

:-(

Please help! Suggestions/ideas/moving forward

Undo?
    No we never tried undoing the 301s because although it's a new website, the old site is still ours, and belongs to the company, and it is still relevant... we are just expanding our services to full home-improvement. Our goal was to provide a better user experience with the new site targeting mainly home improvement, and of course still drive the traffic from the older site that was targeting "carpentry".
    Last edited by ileansolutions; Dec 22nd, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture

It is somewhat tough to answer given the fact that its a new website and rankings do fluctuate for new websites. The 301 likely passed along the old link juice by this point.

What kind of links did your older website have?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi ileansolutions,

I know this is a concerning issue for you as you are running a renowned business for a long time. However, I am unclear about some issues.

What do you expect after putting a ‘301 redirect’ to your new website to your old one? Yes, it is surely redirecting from your new website to the old one whenever a person click on your link. Therefore, it is obvious that your old website content is generating traffic and the new one is losing visitors.

I think you are trying to combining both content and trying to achieve keyword ranking for both services. My suggestion is, include a category or service page to your ‘carpentry’ website and redirect that page to your ‘home-improvement service’ website. In this way, you will not miss any of the site’s traffic or keyword ranking.
  7. No Profile Picture

Apart from 301 redirect, have you done anything to your new site? Like built backlinks or promotions?

Here are the things that I see:

- Your website site is fairly new and therefore it has no capability of competing against other websites in your niche for the said keywords. Meaning there is a possibility that your site has been outranked.
    - You are targeting a very competitive keywords for your new site that it needs more effort in promotions to gain traffic or find another relevant keywords that are quite low in competition and start working from there.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It sounds to me like when you used the 301 redirect it attributed all of the authority from the former site to the new one. That authority was for carpentry-based keywords and since your website is new, it didn't have a lot of authority for its own keywords yet, so the redirect put a lot of weight on it.

I'm not so sure you were targeting the wrong keywords as some of the previous posts have stated. If I understand correctly, you were losing rankings, meaning that for a good portion of the 5 weeks you had the site before redirecting, you were ranking well for the phrases. If this is the case, you simply need to build more authority to your site for those phrases. Optimize content, especially title tags to include keywords. Of course, don't go overboard - one or two of the top phrases for each page in the title tag and only include keywords in the body content where they fit naturally. Optimize only one page for each group of keywords. If you are having trouble discerning which page should have a certain keyword set, you may want to consolidate those pages in question.

Links are still very much a ranking factor as well. I suggest creating some great informative home improvement articles that link to the various pages on your site within the content, using keywords for the linked page as anchor text. Share these via social media to help them get exposure. This will help attract quality, relevant sites to link to you. With the proper content strategy, I am confident your rankings for the home improvement phrases will return.

Also, be glad that you are ranking more highly for the carpentry phrases