Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Linking strategy for giving new sites a boost

I read this article SEOGuy wrote at http://www.pagerank-search-engine-op...pagerank.html. I did just that with my site (let's call it "Car site") only that I wanted my "Car site" to be sending its PR to some other site of mine (let's call this one "Sports site") instead to the sub-pages.

So, what I did is, I made all the links to sub-pages on "Car site" index page in javascript and left all the rest of the links on sub-pages in hard (real) links. This way Google doesn't crawl any of my sub-pages. It finds only 1 link to "Sports site" to which I link from the index page. So "Car site" practically sends all the PR to "Sports site".

"Sports site" is completely new site which I wanted to give a PR boost with the help of a "Car site". "Car site" has a PR of 6.

I didn't yet have the chance to see the effect of this linking strategy. All I did see is "Sports site" got listed in Google in 2 days after I put up the link to it on the "Car site". Although it's optimized it seems Google is not using the PR which "Sports site" should inherit from "Car site". So now I am wondering about 2 things which bother me:

1) Is it possible that Google is not giving my "Sports site" a boost yet because PR for it hasn't been calculated yet? If so then this is a sign that PR doesn't get calculated on the fly (like some suggested) and is calculated later. The site now gets listed in Google on the bottom of SERPS (because it has PR0) and later when PR gets calculated "it will get what it deserves"?

2) Is that linking strategy on "Car site" wrong and Google is not giving my link to "Sports site" such a weight it should, because it now sees "Car site" as "fake", because it now has no sub-pages? So should I rather use the linking strategy used in the 1st table example in that article where a site has hard links to its sub-pages and from those only 1 hard link back to the index page and all other links in javascript OR should I leave my linking structure the way it is??
  3. Give me Backlinks
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

If you can post the names of the sites, perhaps it would become easier to make out what exactly you are doing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

did I make it so unlclear? and I tried so hard to make it clear, lol.

where's seoguy? I think he should understand what I am talking about as he wrote that article.

if I could post the URLs here I would do that already. I already wrote PM to seoguy, but then deleted it as I thought going public with this question would make more opinions and after all that is what this board is about.

would it be better if I draw the linking structure and post a link to the drawing?
  7. Give me Backlinks

would it be better if I draw the linking structure and post a link to the drawing?
    Yes, that way it would be easier for other people as well to share their experiences etc.
  9. SEO Freak
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The backlink shows now, but pr can take a month or so to be reported. It will inherit the pr, in fact its already probably there, it's just that google isnt reporting it yet . Next update of pr will show th einheritance I'm sure. Why are you letting your sub pages in your 'Car Site' suffer though by not linking to them (passing pr on from homepage)?
    You can have up to I would say 3-4 external links on a page without having to be worried about pr leakage. It's when you have 10-20 external links that you need to be concerned about leakage.
    What is a website without traffic?
    ABAKUS Internet Marketing
  11. Give me Backlinks

Webby, my site's PR has just got updated. Back to 6 now! Yet, some work to be done since domain name with and without www is reporting the same PR. It should only be for www.domain.com.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by Webby
    Why are you letting your sub pages in your 'Car Site' suffer though by not linking to them (passing pr on from homepage)?
    Because I don't care about the sub-pages. They are there only for surfers and not for Google.

So I want to minimize the PR leakage as much as possible - trying to direct all through 1 external link.

I'll draw the picture. Have to run now, tho. will be back with the drawing later today...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Okay, this is the structure I am using now: http://www.ixtc.com/linking1.jpg

About my 2nd question in initial post above, I was asking should I rather make the linking structure like this http://www.ixtc.com/linking2.jpg so it will look more of a "valid" site to Google? If not, then that's OK as I prefer the http://www.ixtc.com/linking1.jpg
  17. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You must answer that question yourself.
  19. Give me Backlinks

McSpike, I am not sure how much just a single PR 6 link will help the sports site. Besides, you are blocking the PR flow in cars site. You don't want the sub-pages to have PR but then how will they contribute to homepage's PR? (The diagram you attached don't show sub-pages linking to home page). Don't know much, but I would say think again. And perhaps you'll be better off getting inbounds to sports site from other sites.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by Maneesh
    McSpike, I am not sure how much just a single PR 6 link will help the sports site.
    I have about 10 "Car sites" like that which will all link to "Sports site" that way (if that is the correct way).

You don't want the sub-pages to have PR but then how will they contribute to homepage's PR?
    who said they will and should contribute to homepage's PR? the idea is to not spread the PR to sub-pages, to contain it on the index page for only 1 exit link to "Sports page". I want that "Sports page" to get it all and when at it I don't wanna do anything stupid. That's why I am asking about the structure.

http://www.ixtc.com/linking1.jpg one is what I have and http://www.ixtc.com/linking2.jpg is what is described in this article http://www.pagerank-search-engine-op...-pagerank.html in the first table example.

I am asking someone who knows, SEOGuy probably, is there any difference between the two of them for Google? The goal is only to give "Sports site" the maximum PR boost a site can give.

(The diagram you attached don't show sub-pages linking to home page)
    the 2nd diagram does. Well they are actually recips so all the PR should leak back to the index page again anyway (I think). Just want to achieve the maximum PR boost.

What do you think?
  23. Give me Backlinks

What do you think?
    I guess you are waiting for seo guy's reply.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

nobody else tried this before or read SEOGuy's article?
  27. Head Honcho

Your second diagram is a much better idea.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Manga, you think? I was thinking that way too, but wsn't sure. The site looks more natural that way, doesn't it?

Anway, correct me if I am wrong, I heard that only 85% of the PR gets passed to the links on a certain page. So by the 2nd diagram, wouldn't I be leaving 15% of the PR power on all the sub-pages, because only 85% would be coming back to the index page?
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: