1. No Profile Picture

Linking Old vs. New Content

I'm looking to see if there is a better strategy between the two when it comes to link building. In, say, a guest post, should we link to a page that has been on the site for a long time or a more recently created page?

For example, let's say we are working with a hotel website. They have a section of the site dedicated to nearby attractions. [Nearby Attraction 1] has been on the site from the start. We have recently written a blog post, "Spotlight [Nearby Attraction 1]", that goes into detail what the attraction is and internally links back to the [Nearby Attraction 1] page. Now we go into our link building process and write a guest post, "Top 5 Attractions Near [Hotel]". Would it be better to link to the [Nearby Attraction 1] page since it probably has a better page authority, or the spotlight blog since it is fresh content?

I feel like linking to the fresh content shortly after it is posted could give the spiders a good "first impression", where the spiders crawling it will see that new content on the site is already being linked to, therefore it must be pretty good quality.

Sorry for the vague example; it is a completely hypothetical example. Any input would be great. Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Getting back links through guest posting from unique content and same niche blog will definitely increase your website reputation and search engine ranking.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I completely agree with you.fresh and uinque content is always good to get better ranking in search engine results.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tomhank
    Getting back links through guest posting from unique content and same niche blog will definitely increase your website reputation and search engine ranking.
    This certainly does not answer my question. I completely understand the purpose of guest posting and how to guest post. The question is essentially whether it is better to link content with established authority or new content on the same topic.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ushahm01
    I completely agree with you.fresh and uinque content is always good to get better ranking in search engine results.
    While either way you get a link back, which is good, what I am asking is more which is better. I figure someone on this forum has tested something like this. I'm glad you agree with my thoughts, but I'd like to get input from someone who isn't just speculating.
  11. No Profile Picture

I want to bump this back up once, for exposure, to see if I can get a response from anybody who might know about this. Thanks.
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

What page to you want to boost...the [Nearby Attraction 1] or the [Hotel]
    I'm assuming your answer will be the Hotel. There's your answer.
    Unless I read your question wrong.
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    What page to you want to boost...the [Nearby Attraction 1] or the [Hotel]
    I'm assuming your answer will be the Hotel. There's your answer.
    Unless I read your question wrong.
    I think there is a miscommunication. Consider the content to be on the same topic. For argument's sake, the content is equally valuable, but the page, hotelexample.com/nearby/attraction1 has been around for 2 years and has gotten several links back, and the fresh content page, hotelexample.com/blog/spotlight-attraction1 was just posted today and has gotten no links back.

When doing a guest post on another site, would it be better to link to /attraction1 or /spotlight-attraction1? Would Google consider the fact that the fresh page is already being linked to so quickly after being posted into the search algorithm (kind of like having a good first impression)? I guess another factor would be diminishing returns on backlinks. Would a 500th link to /attraction1 be worth less than a 1st link to /spotlight-attraction1?
  17. SEO Since 97

When doing a guest post on another site would it be better to link to /attraction1 or /spotlight-attraction1?

A link to /attraction1 will be better for
    /attraction1
    and a link to /spotlight-attraction1
    will be better for /spotlight-attraction1

Would a 500th link to /attraction1 be worth less than a 1st link to /spotlight-attraction1?

worth less? why would you think that? what ever the link is worth is what it holds in worth no matter if it's your first on 200th

Would it be better to link to the [Nearby Attraction 1] page since it probably has a better page authority, or the spotlight blog since it is fresh content?

Lets back up...better for what?

19. No Profile Picture

Better for the site as a whole. With our clients, they don't want to just optimize one page. They invest thousands in our new site designs and SEO for them. They are in a very competitive market, so they don't care too much what page ranks well for competitive keywords. Obviously, they would prefer high-converting pages rank well, but ultimately being able to capture clicks from competitive search terms is a win, regardless of where they land.

I believe there are diminishing returns on backlinks. It eventually would be like pissing into an ocean of piss; it won't make that much of a change. With SEOmoz's mozrank, for example, its a logarithmic style, where it is 10 times harder to move from 2.0-3.0 than it is to move from 1.0-2.0. So, the site would benefit more from having 30 pages at 5.0 than it is to have one page at 7.0 and 29 at 1.0.

I just think there is more to it than a simple answer of a link back is a link back. Surely Google has an entire team of algorithm writers to look at things like age of the page, how quickly a page builds links, how frequently new pages/content come out, and how quickly those are linked, rather than simply counting a link as a link, ceteris paribus, and whichever page gets that link benefits.

Maybe I just put too much faith in domain authority.
  21. SEO Since 97

lol. Well domain authority is good however you started this with a
    In, say, a guest post
    what ever that blog carries is what it's going to give right (that simple answer). which is determined by a lot of the different aspects you listed above. But that's on the linking site not yours.
    Isn't your question about linking to your new content rather than the old content?
    I don't think it makes any difference if your looking at it to make your site better as a whole. I believe it's only going to impact the pages your linking to. (which will make the site better as a whole) no matter which one you link to.
    Do you want the user to find the spotlight or the attraction page? and I'd think both of those pages would have an internal link to the other. So it converts no matter which way they got there.
  23. No Profile Picture

Okay, so let me see if I follow you.

While all these aspects are important for the outside blog that will be linking to your site, at the end of the day, the value of the link you get won't vary from page to page as far as your overall site performance is concerned?
  25. SEO Since 97

yes as far as making your site better over all.
    I'm still not sure what you mean by better, better ranking for the site as a whole, better ranking for the attraction, better page rank, better domain authority
    the value of the link you get won't vary from page to page
    The value won't change, however the page it links to would be better.
    And there's nothing wrong with this at all:
    I feel like linking to the fresh content shortly after it is posted could give the spiders a good
    Your original question was...
    >>I'm looking to see if there is a better strategy between the two when it comes to link building. In, say, a guest post, should we link to a page that has been on the site for a long time or a more recently created page?

Yes there is a better way, I always link to old pages as well as the new ones...so link to the old one and new one. As long as your site is getting spidered and you have internal links to the new content, a back link isn't going to make google think it's the cats meow just because it's new.
  27. No Profile Picture

Okay, I get what you are saying now. Thanks for your help.