1. No Profile Picture
    Instigator of Thought
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

A Link Weight Myth-Buster or a Hidden Meaning? - SEO Site Comparisons

I am quite curious to see the feedback from some of our heavy hitters on the site. I was doing some competitor comparison using the "open site explorer" tool by SEOMoz. I wanted to see how our local company stacked up against our local competitor, a more recognized player, and the top dogs in SEO.

Here's the screencap of what I was looking at: SEO Site Comparison Screencap

The results are not at all what I was expecting. The local competitor, webpagefx, is listed as the clear winner for MozRank, MozTrust, and second only for page authority at 75, behind SEO.com at 79.

Now, this obviously didn't seem right considering tools such as www.SEOMoz.com are referenced to considerably, yet the domain and subdomain metrics didn't tell too much of a different story: Domain and Subdomain Screencap

What am I supposed to chalk this disparity to? For me, it seems that the tool itself could be flawed in it's ability to capture accurate estimates of what Google considers to be valuable and authoritative, considering that SEOMoz and SEO.com rank highly in the search whereas the others rank much lower for basic terms like SEO.

If the tool is accurate in its ability to weight links and rank appropriately, than it says to me that backlinks themselves, whether quality or not, are still not enough to help a user understand where they need improvement.

What does everyone get from these results?
    Last edited by JamesAnderson7; Nov 14th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ok, moz provides some really inteersting metrics / SEO factors, like page and domain authorithy, mozTrust and mozRank for page and domain also.

But are these the only things that we have in mind when we do want to measure a link weight?

I notticed that almost every respectable tool - ahrefs, cognitiveseo - got their own metric for weight measuring...but some are quite different and there are so questionable.

i looking for such an answer, thank you very much!
  5. Contributing User

As far as I know Moz merge about 30 metrics in order to achieve those results. If you go and test other tools indeed you will see a big difference in results but at the end I guess that many people don't go with Moz so far. I am member on a UK board (don't want to promote) where premium members really don't want to hear about Moz. I guess there are opinions and opinions. I would say that if 10 agencies are content about the results, and other 3 are not probably would be a problem, but as far as I see Moz has a professional way on offering this results, so I guess they are doing pretty well, I really don't see why the results they are posting wouldn't be accurate. I am not talking about the investment they did, but think that on their team and around their team are maybe hundreds of smart engineers, SEOs. Moz really is on the wave (personal opinion) and they really do a good work (again personal opinion).
    The other tools like ahrefs don't offer the same updates, accuracy. I have tested both and made my decision!

Sincerely,
    Matt
    Linkbuildingoffice.com - Houston Local SEO Agency and Inbound Marketing Services
    Follow Linkbuildingoffice on Twitter - @Lbuildingoffice